Pages

Monday 2 May 2016

Bank Holiday Weekend Bargains

So we went away to Morecambe for the bank holiday weekend with my sister and brother-in-law. For those who read my blog, they will know that I love the faded seaside resort of Morecambe as I have fond childhood memories of day visits. It is slightly sad and a little rough around the edges these days but both my sister and I love it.

We arrived Friday evening and Saturday morning we were up and out for 9am. We first visited the Festival Market which is an old fashioned indoor market with stalls selling everything from flowers to pet supplies. We headed for the reduced food stall and stocked up on a real mixture of goodies. We both love this stall as it sells short dated dry and tinned food items and is so cheap. I bought two large double-layer boxes of Thornton's Continental chocolates at £2 a box. They are in date but are short dated so we will have to eat them quickly!!!


I also bought two bags of Jordan's light granola at £1 each, 3 lasagne kits for a £1 for all 3 (pasta sheets, tomato and bechamel sauce included) and 4 packs of chicken casserole sauce for £1 for all 4.




I also bought 8 individual packs of Milka chocolate covered biscuits for £1 and 2 large bags of peanut M&Ms for £1 a bag.


I finally 4 bars of Thornton's fudge chocolate for £1, four Soreen malt loaves with toffee for £1 for all 4 and 8 packs of custard raisins for £1. Not exactly healthy food but I never know what they will be selling and I just stock up on what they have.


The weather was mixed in the morning but by the afternoon it was beautiful sunshine and we walked along the promenade taking in the views across the bay and enjoying some of the festival that is on over the weekend with food stalls, live music and a fairground with both new and old fashioned rides.  It has been snowing this week and I could see snow capped mountains in the distance across the bay.







We love the Midland Hotel on the sea front and visited it many years ago before it fell into some disrepair. We have also visited it a number of times since it was resurrected into a destination hotel and it's 1930's glamour shone through this evening.




We visited quite a few charity shops and a little carboot sale but more on this in another post.

I have taken up the "Blog every day in May" challenge which is set every year by Rosalilium. This is the first year I have taken part as I only recently started reading her blog and I have struggled with some of the technology but I hope I will be able to fulfil this goal. I know I missed yesterday but I could not load photographs while away so will try to make up for lost time from today.




No comments: