Pages

Saturday 21 May 2016

Clothes Splurge

Two things happened in the last week which has led to me having a clothes splurge. The first was going away last weekend to Abersoch. I had some old favourites to take with me to wear but I somehow felt that I was missing some items. I had a great cotton top/tunic to wear on one day but it somehow did not feel comfortable any more. It is an old one that I had bought second-hand and the pattern was starting to fade and it did not feel right anymore.

I had one pair of shorts with me which are great but I wanted another pair - a denim pair. I love denim shorts and have had loads over the years but they have become tatty or are too small or too big so I have found myself having none this year. I also had a lovely long T shirt dress that I wore on both evenings out, but I hankered for some linen trousers and a casual top to wear in the day and a smarter top in the evening.

Don't get me wrong, I have some lovely clothes and am not complaining but I felt there was just something missing. This last week I got two emails, one from from Marks & Spencer and one from Bon Marche. I am not a Bon Marche shopper but Ann Harvey now use them for their online sales. The emails gave 20% discount on full price items at M&S and all items at Bon Marche. I had a splurge - 9 items in total. I am keeping 7 of the items and returning 2 dresses. I ordered from Bon Marche on Tuesday and M&S on Thursday. The items were available at both stores on Friday.

So here is what I bought:

A maxi dress in muted creams, tans and golds. I love that it has a fitted waist rather than an empire style fit. It looks beautiful on and will be going in my suitcase to my favourite Turkish resort of Kalkan in July for our summer holiday.

Two pairs of long heavyweight linen trousers in black and navy. Both so useful for summer days in the UK and for summer evenings abroad when worn with a kaftan style top and mule sandals.




One pair of suit material skinny jeans. These are great trousers as they are a mix of two styles. They are made from suit material but are a skinny jeans style. They have some elasticity in the fabric so will be great from travelling in and for weekends away. They can be dressed up or down. At £11 (less 20% ) I think they are just fabulous.


Two kaftan style short tops. I wanted some tops that were not too long as to be a tunic but long enough to hide my tummy. These sit just on the hip and I love them both. The white one is made from soft jersey material and look good with the skinny black jeans. The floral patterned kimono style top is light and floaty and will be great with the black linen trousers.




One pair of straight leg black jeans. I bought a pair of these and a dark indigo pair about a month ago in medium length. I loved the fit but they were too short. They were both returned. I had bought them when there had been a discount on and when I tried to re-order but in the longer length, the offer had finished. I was patient and sure enough the 20% offer came along but only the black was available this time. Sadly the indigo has all been sold in the long length (sob!).



With any on line order, there is the potential for failure. My two returns are both dresses. The first fits beautifully and David really liked it. Sadly the pattern was not for me. I looked like a fuzzy TV screen.



The second return looked great on line when looking at the pictures. OMG the reality was it made my bust look huge, my tummy even bigger and the round neck detail was not flattering at all. This was the most expensive and I was secretly glad that it looked dreadful.



What happened to the denim shorts you are all asking? A fantastic comfortable pair that fit great and make me feel fabulous. £6 on eBay. I love this second hand purchase more than all my newbies. I'm just a second hand rose at heart.



Follow all the "Blog Every Day in May" bloggers on Twitter #BEDM.




No comments: