Pages

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Waitrose Reductions Glitch


I have shopped at Waitrose since they opened a small to medium sized store about half a mile away from where I live. They seem to have a reputation for being expensive but I find them more than reasonable when I buy their reduced items. They are even cheaper when their multibuy offers still apply to reduced items. I think these computerised reductions are called a glitch and I always make sure I buy any reduced items in the required numbers to get the multibuy glitches.

27th April 2015
I called at Waitrose last week and found that the glitch is no longer working on multi-buy products.

I called in at Waitrose yesterday after work and managed to find quite a few reduced fruit and vegetables items. There were some multibuy glitches included in my shop. It was good to see some fresh fairly healthy food reduced rather than cakes or pies etc. which can sometimes be the case.

The first buy was two packets of Rich & Creamy Coronation Chicken Salad with a yogurt and mint dressing. These should have been £3.49 each but had been reduced to 99p each. They had a sticker saying buy 2 for £6 on them. At the till 98p came off the bill meaning I paid £1 for both of them. Now a 50p lunch seems good to me. They were best before Monday but I had no problem with us eating them today only 12 hours out of date.


I also noticed some baby leeks. These had been reduced from £2 a pack to 75p. I found two packs reduced and noticed that they were 3 for 2 by the stickers on the packs. I went back to the vegetable racks to find a third pack which was not reduced but I knew I would get this free as it was 3 for 2. At the till £2 was taken off my bill so I paid £1.50 for all three packs. I will make leeks in cheese sauce tonight.


Looking at some of the other reduced items I decided that I would make roasted pepper and tomato soup as there were two packs of sweet Romano red and yellow peppers that were reduced from £2.99 a pack to 89p and a pack of ready chopped onions (4 onions) reduced from 99p to 39p. I knew that I had a couple of packs of tomatoes in the fridge that I had bought at the weekend which had been reduced from 69p to 29p a pack. I made this last night and the recipe is below.


There were a few packs of ready made fruit salads which are a lovely refreshing dessert to take to work. I often buy a mixture of these when they are reduced and mix them together. I put them in separate plastic tubs and store in the fridge. I find they usually last a couple of days pasts their sell by date and even longer if they do not contain too many soft fruits such as strawberries.  I found two packs of nectarine, melon and strawberry for 45p each reduced from £1.99 and a very large pack of classic fruit salad reduced to 89p from £3.99.  The two smaller packs were eaten today for lunch. The larger pack will last until tomorrow at the latest but I know I'll be okay to eat it then as it contains grapes, apples, oranges etc. and they tend to be okay for a day or too past their sell by date.



Finally I found a free range chicken reduced for on £9.63 to £3.97. Waitrose have standard chickens at 3 for £10 at the moment but the thought of having a free range one was tempting so I decided I would buy this to eat that night. A chicken normally does us about four meals. We ate the breast last night, the legs and thighs will do for a separate meal tomorrow night and the carcass will be boiled and stripped to make a stock for soup. I usually make enough soup for four people so this will be another two meals for the two of us.



Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup

Red peppers or a mix of red, orange & yellow peppers
Onions
Tomatoes
Garlic
Stock
Salt
Pepper
Mixed herbs



Cut up the peppers into chunks and de-seed them. Put on a roasting tray along with tomatoes which have been quartered unless you are using baby tomatoes in which case put them onto the tray whole. Cover everything with a good glug of olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Roast in a very hot oven until they look slightly charred. You can put the onion on the tray aswell if you have whole onions. These also need to be cut into chunks if you are going to do this. As I had ready-cut onions I missed out this step and put them straight into my slow cooker along with about a litre of water. I added about two teaspoons of my lazy frozen garlic from Waitrose.


I added two chicken stock cubes to the water as I had no ready prepared stock available. I put the slow cooker on the low setting and once the roasted peppers and tomatoes were done I emptied the contents into the slow cooker. I had a look at my dried herb rack and added about four pinches of dried mixed herbs and then I cooked this for about 5 hours and left to cool overnight. The next morning I used my hand held blender to blend the soup into a slightly smoother soup but not too much as a bit of texture is nice.





No comments: