Pages

Saturday 2 August 2014

Weekend Plans

All week I have been praying for fine weather for Sunday so that I can go car booting. I checked the weather forecast on the BBC Weather App on Thursday and was disappointed to see rain for Sunday  but on Friday I checked again and the forecast was for light cloud and sunshine. The thought of missing out on my Sunday bargains has me checking the weather forecast on a daily basis as we approach the weekend.

Over the last couple of weeks we have bought numerous bargains for ourselves and our home which I will show you over the next few weeks. We have also bought lots of presents for family for birthdays and Christmas and sometimes just as a gift because we know family will enjoy receiving them. In the last two weeks I have bought my Dad two small gifts of a Leonard Cohen CD for 50p and a DVD of one his favourite films, Lost in Translation, for 20p. It's only the price of a newspaper and gives me the same joy as the giver of these presents as it does to the receiver.

Last Christmas myself and my sister had a competition as to who could do the best "Car boot Christmas" with the presents we bought for each other and our family. Believe it or not I have nearly bought all my presents for Christmas because I buy them throughout the year when I see things that I know people want or would like. I have a number of storage boxes in my garage and the presents get stored in these until Christmas and then I go "shopping" at home to see what I have stashed away for everyone. I occasionally find gifts that I have forgotten  I have bought which always delights me.

This morning I called in at Waitrose for a quick 20 minute shop. I do this most Saturday mornings after I have dropped my partner, David off at work. I like to go on a Saturday as I can get a free newspaper when I spend £10 and every time I visit I can get a free coffee. Their latte coffee is divine and I love to sit for 30 minutes when I get home and read the paper and drink my coffee. The free newspaper, the Daily Mail had a £5 off voucher to spend in Boots if you spend £30. I will use this along with some points on my Boots Advantage Card to get a double discount. I have a My Waitrose card which means that I can get the free coffee and newspaper but I can also get their in-house magazine for free too. I picked this up this morning (worth £1.20) along with their free weekend news sheet. Plenty for me to read over the weekend and during the week in the evenings.


I cut three coupons out of the free newspapers that David and I pick up from work or on the bus. I bought Glamour and GQ magazines for £1 each using the coupons. A bonus was that the Glamour magazine should have cost £2 and it had a free Clinique Moisturiser with it worth about £8 based on a full size bottle. The GQ magazine should have cost £3.99 and had a free Wilkinson Sword razor worth £8.99 with it. I also used a coupon worth £1.35 off  John West Steam Pots.

What have you done this week to save money or find a bargain?

No comments: