Pages

Friday 15 August 2014

My Thrifty Week

I am always looking at ways to try to save money. I think it has something to do with the way I was brought up particularly by my grannies, but also I see it as some kind of competition. My sister and I swop bargain stories all the time to see which one of us has got the best deal or to share ideas and places we can go to to get a deal.

This week I received 6 vouchers from Sainsburys for £12 off a £60 shop for the next 6 weeks. I haven't shopped there for a while and I find that if I give a particular supermarket a miss for a while they will send me some vouchers to lure me back. I will go to Sainsurys for the next few weeks to use the vouchers but once they have been used I will give them a miss again for a while. This is the second time they have sent me these vouchers this year.

I went shopping for a couple of things at a nearby outlet. The Marks & Spencer Outlet Shop there is good for bargains in that it has a clearance section where prices are reasonable. I managed to find a pair of slim fit boot cut jeans in my size and the right length for £6 and a jacket which will be suitable for work and evening wear for £14. I bought a linen shirt for David for wearing on holiday for £6 and an Autograph bangle for my niece for £3. I will put this away for part of her present for her birthday in November. I tend to buy my niece and nephew lots of small gifts rather than one large present.








I also visited the Clintons card shop as they had a half price sale on some of their Yankee Candles and I adore their tea lights because of the wonderful scent they give when lit in the evening. I use two a night in two hurricane lanterns that I have on my mantelpiece. I smelled about 4 different scents that were on offer and went for Under the Palms because it had a hint of coconut which will get me in the holiday mood for my trip to Spain next Friday.  They cost £3.37 instead of £6.65.



I did quite a large shop at Waitose and felt that I had spent far too much when everything was totted up at the till but when I got home and looked at everything that it had bought and how long the food would last us, I started to feel a little better. I used the multibuy glitch as much as possible when I was looking at the reduced items. There were fresh meat items on offer at 3 for £10 so I bought beef mince reduced from £4.29 to £2.95, 4 peppered beef steaks £4 reduced to £2.75 and venison meatballs £4.09 to £2.59. A further £2.38 came off at the till so the meat finally cost £5.91.



I bought quite a lot of cooked meats for sandwiches at lunch and some snack foods which are great as a change at lunch. There were 2 packs of breaded ham £1.25 from £1.79 with a further 58p off at the till as they were 2 for £3 so this cost me £1.92. I also got 3 larger packs of oak smoked ham reduced to £2.09 from £2.99 with a further £2.97 off at the till so this cost £3.30. Finally there were 3 packs of  black bean chimichangas reduced from £2.69 to £1.69 with a further £2.07 off at the till so these cost just £3.



I noticed that they had a summer offer on with some chilled items with everything priced at 3 items for £6 so I bought 3 reduced items of two large freshly squeezed orange juice and a triple pack of dips. These worked out at £3.60 for all of them with a total saving of £4.19 on full price and/or £2.40 with the offer. I rarely buy fruit juices and am not keen on the long life cartons but love freshly squeezed but only when reduced or on offer as a treat.

I finally bought fresh mini courgettes and peppers so that I can make some ratatouille for eating during the week. I already have tomatoes and onions in my larder so needed some peppers. I plumped for just yellow peppers because these were reduced and thought we would get some red colour from the tomatoes as the red peppers were not on offer or reduced. The peppers I bought were loose so  I chose two large ones. Although not conventional I have some mushrooms in the larder so may add those. The 2 packs of courgettes cost £1.39 each reduced from £2 with a further £1 off at the till on the multibuy so £1.78 in total. My peppers cost 97p as they were reduced from£4.29 a kilo to £2.49.





I feel that I have spent quite a bit this week but know that I have bought some real bargains some of which will last me a while. It is lovely to have a treat now and again too otherwise life can start to become really dull.


No comments: