Pages

Thursday 31 July 2014

Everyday Reductions


Today I did my food shop for the week which included food shopping for weekend treats and I managed to buy a lot more than I anticipated. This was due to my arrival just at the time that food was being reduced for the second time of the day. I called in at a different Tesco store than I normally use because I had to travel to the other side of town on business in the afternoon and drove home a different route than usual. I decided at the last minute to visit one of their larger stores and just hit it at the right time for some bargains and so I bought a wide selection of reduced meat to stock up one of my freezers.

I find meat expensive and we don't always have meat as the main focus of our meals. I cannot recall paying full price for meat and normally only buy meat when it has been reduced. We tend to eat chicken, ham, sausages or mince because these can be bought cheaper than beef or lamb. My partner does not like pork so I rarely buy this.




 Today I hit the jackpot and managed to find duck breasts, venison steaks, rump and fillet steaks all reduced. They varied in price and could be seen as expensive to some but as these have been bought as weekend treats I was delighted to have found so much for my freezer. I also had a coupon for £1 off steak so managed a double reduction.



I also found Finest Senga Strawberry yogurts reduced from 70p to 8p each so bought four of them. Two will be lovely as a dessert tonight and the other two for breakfast tomorrow morning. Their use-by date is today but I do not think that eating them 6 hours out of date will kill me. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem. I also bought a delicious looking chicken & red pepper couscous salad for my lunch which had been reduced from £2.20 to £1.08. I also found two pots of chicken and sweetcorn sandwich filler for my partner's sandwiches for his lunch tomorrow and these had been reduced from £1.25 to 66p each.

I finally bought a selection of fruit and vegetables which included Finest Large Flat Forestiere Mushrooms reduced from £1.75 to 52p a pack. I bought three packs and one pack will be used in our cooked breakfasts at the weekend with the other two packs being used to make soup. I have already made a chicken stock from the chicken we had on Tuesday night and I will use this as a base for the mushroom soup. In addition I bought some lovely looking Finest mini San Marzano tomatoes which were again reduced from £1.75 to 52p a pack. I will use these in a Greek Salad to go with a roast chicken either on Saturday or Sunday night. I also bought two bags of reduced mini baby new potatoes which we will have tonight with the Salmon en croute and julienne vegetables (bought on Tuesday night from Marks & Spencer)



I also managed to buy four loaves of bread at 55p each. The date on these loaves is 2nd August so I am unsure why they were reduced as there are another two days before their best before date. I also bought 2 Finest Chocolate and Orange Croissants at 75p for the two and a Finest Carrot Cake for £1.25 which will be wonderful with morning coffee when my Dad comes and visits on a Saturday morning.

No comments: