Pages

Saturday 9 August 2014

Vintage & Enamel Kitchenalia

I have quite a lot of chrome and stainless steel kitchen equipment in my kitchen but recently I have bought a number of vintage or vintage style items because I liked the look of them. I think in my heart they have reminded me of helping my grannies cook in their kitchens and there has been a warm nostalgia behind my purchases.

I bought some flowers that were reduced from Marks & Spencer and they came in a cream enamel jug. They were ridiculously cheap as I bought them just before the store was closing for the day and they had reduced the price to get rid of them. The flowers are long gone but the jug remains and has been reused on my kitchen window ledge with various bunches of cheap and cheerful flowers in it.



I found the bread bin at the Cheshire car boot sale and just loved it. The lady who was selling it had exactly the same taste as me and I wanted to buy lots of items from her but realised that some of her prices were a little too high and that I did not need a lot of the things that she had, I just wanted them. So common sense prevailed and I just bought the bread bin. It had a £35 price sticker still on the bottom of it and did not look like it had been used. She wanted £5 for it but we settled on £4.



My next item was bought only last week and I think is genuine vintage. It is the cutest boiled egg holder in a lovely sunshine yellow colour. It has a number of hooks for hooking over the edge of the pan to ensure the eggs are at the right height. This cost me a grand total of 20p.



Finally and the piece de resistance is my genuine vintage Kenwood Chef complete with liquidiser and mincing attachment. This weighs a tonne and has been well used and loved over the years. I bought this from a car boot sale at a local school. They used to have a car boot sale there twice a year and we really looked forward to them as we would come home with our car laden down with some really unbelievable bargains. Sadly we have not seen anything advertised for their sales this year.

My Kenwood Chef was £18 complete. Expensive for a car boot sale but given that they cost £hundreds I felt it was worth the money with the attachments included. My sister who was with me was green with envy and keeps looking for one that is the same as mine. I love it to bits and it is great for making mixtures for ice cream, whipping anything into a frenzy and liquidising soups. I have yet to use the dough hook but feel that this may need christening in the next couple of weeks.



I think I will keep my eyes open for further enamel and vintage items for a less sterile look for the kitchen and to add some nostalgia to my home.  Do you have a vintage style kitchen?


No comments: