Pages

Friday 8 August 2014

Homemaker Finds

I have already shown you some of my recent finds for the girls from car boot sales and today I thought I would show you some of the items I have found for the home. Home finds are my favourite at car boot sales as they can often be the best bargains.

Some of the finds are small items such as candles and some are larger items such as chairs which will of course cost more, but they are all a fairly cheap or a reasonable price. You never know what you will come home with,  and we try to buy items that have originally cost someone a pretty penny rather than something that they have bought cheaply and are selling on for a few £ less than they originally paid.

We have polished wooden floors in most rooms in our home including all the bedrooms. We decided that we needed some rugs to soften the hardness and to give some warmth under foot come the winter months. We found this pale grey suede rag rug at a car boot sale being held at a school in Cartmel and were pleased with the £5 price. It fits beautifully in the space between the end of our bed and in front of the wardrobe. What was even better was a couple of weeks later we found an identical rug at our favourite car boot sale in Cheshire also for £5 and this fits in the same spot in our spare bedroom.



The black leather and chrome chair is from John Lewis and had never been used. This cost £5 and has been used in the back bedroom but has recently been moved on to the landing.


One of our favourite purchases has been our living flame gas fire. When we moved into our 1930s home there were gas fires in front of the open fire places in both the living room and dining room. We removed both them because they were unattractive and we liked the idea of having an open fire. Well we saw this fire at a car boot sale when we were away for the weekend in Wales. It was dismantled into pieces and the coal was in a dirty cardboard box but with some vision we knew it was what we wanted. This cost £15 and we love it in the winter because it gives such a lovely glow on dark evenings. We are still looking for one as good as this for in the dining room.


I have quite liked having decorative pine cones or pot pourri in dishes in the past but recently felt like a change and have bought these set of three decorative balls from one family for £1. They look like they are enamelled with an aluminium band across the centre.




I have a set of lead crystal glasses which are Bohemia Crystal. I initially bought a box of 6 red wine glasses when I used to buy new from high street stores. They cost me £55 for the set and I loved them so much I decided that I would like to have other glasses that matched. I had one set of high ball glasses bought for me from my mum at Christmas and another set of brandy glasses from my sister etc etc until I had most of the range. Over the years some of the red wine glasses became broken and I was therefore so pleased to find 5 of them for sale at my Cheshire car boot sale. They cost £5 and I thought this was a real bargain until a couple of weeks later when I found a full set of the white wine glasses at £3. Why would you pay £55 when you can pay £3?.



Let me know what treasures for your home you have found at a car boot sale.

No comments: