Pages

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Time for Housekeeping

Having a full time job and a busy life outside of work, my housekeeping duties sometimes suffer. I hate the house being a mess but I am not one of those people who lives in a show home with a minimalist approach to their home. My partner, David and I are slight hoarders and we like our home to be lived in and comfortable. What we do not like is living in a mess and I realised that our bedroom was starting to look like a dumping ground with my stuff (not his) in piles around the room. 




So this week I thought I would have a bit of a tidy up and freshen up the the room a little with a duster, damp cloth and some elbow grease. The vacuum cleaner came out with the attachments being used for tricky corners and behind the bed. I'm embarrassed to say that I found a couple of tumbleweeds behind the bed! but soon had these shifted. 

Fresh white bed linen was put on the bed, clothes put away, bits of make-up and toiletries found their homes. The suede rug was given a shake and everything vacuumed and polished. I was really pleased with the results but am still waiting for David to finish decorating the room. 

He put lining paper up behind our bed ready to paint but then he has procrastinated over the colour of paint to use. We want a chalky grey to match the colour of the rug and we have decided to plump for Farrow & Ball but we cannot decide which shade of grey to go for. I think a pale grey may look beautiful behind the bed and will set off the black lampshades that we have on the Waterford crystal lamp bases. We bought 4 of these when a shop was closing down and selling most stock at 75% off. We have two clear cut ones on either side of the bed and a further one on a side table in our dining room. The fourth one is a simple smokey black and this is on a chest on our landing with a white raw silk shade. 

Well here are the after photographs and what can be better than to wake up to a tidy and fresh smelling room to start your day off.







No comments: