Pages

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Car Boot Designer Labels

It always suprises me to find designer items at car boot sales where people are asking very little money for their items which have clearly been very expensive for them to buy. Both David and myself like to have some designer names but we are not too much into having everything with a designer name. We're quite happy with high street names but why would we miss out on an expensive  designer item at a knock down price?

Some of our buys over the last 12 months have included my lovely Mulberry Emmy black leather hand bag. This came with the Mulberry card and dust bag. They originally cost £600 and I still see them for sale on ebay from £100 upwards. I bought mine from a lady at the Cheshire car boot sale for £18. She had asked for £20 but we settled on £18. The bag has had some use so there are some signs of wear and tear but these are fairly minimal and I am delighted with my designer bag at this price.



I also bought a cute little Fendi bag from one lady who was selling off a collection of clothes and accessories which were mainly designer names. The bag is only small and I rarely use it but for £2 it was not to be missed. From the same lady I bought a pair of gorgeous Christian Laboutin sandals which came in their box. These had been originally priced at over £200 and I paid £4. I bought them without trying them on (they were my size) and it was not until I got home and tried them on that I realised they were too small. I decided to sell them on ebay (I do not normally buy items to sell on) and was astounded that they sole for over £50. 


David loves black jackets and coats and when we were away for a long weekend in the Lake District earlier this year we found a car boot sale on in a local field. A lot of the items for sale were very different to what we are used to at the Cheshire car boot sale. There was a lot of older items almost antiques and farm house style items. The clothes tended to be more thick winter jackets and boots. In the midst of all this I saw a black Prada coat in the right size for David. It looked as though it had been worn once and I thought it was going to be expensive when I asked the price.  I was told £4 and the man selling it said he thought it was designer. Where can you buy a decent coat for £4 these days? let alone a Prada one.



The school car boot sale last year delivered quite a number of treasures. My sister and her family were staying over for the weekend and came with us to this sale. She bought quite a few items for her two teenage children who are clearly label conscious at their age. I found a great pair of Gucci sunglasses for £2. These are probably considered out of date now but I love the little bit of sparkle on them. They came in an Armani case which David immediately snaffled for his own use. I wasn't bothered as sunglasses cases and glasses case are usually a very easy find at car boot sales and cost little at £1 or 50p. Sure enough I found a Gucci glasses case a couple of weeks later for £1.



We keep our eyes open for items that we love from designers we like but I would not buy an item just because it has a designer name. Two weeks ago I found a lovely Lulu Guinness bag which was unused and was only £20 but it was purple which is not a colour I generally wear. I thought about buying it as a present for my sister but it was not her style so this was passed up and it was immediately sold to someone who was stood next to me. You have to be decisive at car boot sales and make up your mind there and then as if you go back after changing your mind it will invariably have been sold. 

No comments: