Pages

Tuesday 18 April 2017

Food Shopping Bargains

My colleagues at work think that I shop at fancy supermarkets so I must therefore spend a fortune on my food shopping - oh how wrong they are! I don't tell them about my bargain shopping techniques as they may start shopping there themselves and become my competition. 

Easter is now over and I knew that Marks & Spencers would be selling their Easter stock at vastly reduced prices. They usually have better reductions at Easter than they do at Christmas so I called into one of their stores on the way home from work today. I struck gold on the turkey front and as I love turkey I stocked up my freezers. Here are my bargains:

Four "The Collection" stuffed turkey crowns that were 90% off so I paid between £3.10 - £3.55, so £13.45 in total for four turkey crowns which should have cost £133.44. This was a saving of £119.99. They are nicely tucked away in my freezer already along with a load of other turkey joints as follows:





A plain turkey crown reduced to £1.90 from £18.90 saving £17.


Two turkey breast joints stuffed and covered in bacon which were reduced from £22.59 and £22.41 to £5.60 each. A saving of £33.80.


Two plain turkey breast joints with a melting gravy reduced from £15 to £3.75 each. Saving £22.50.


Two small stuffed turkey roulades reduced from £7 to £1.75 each. Saving £11.


These are all in my freezers ready for a Sunday roast during the autumn months and I will probably use the "The Collection" crowns at Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year. I've messaged my sister and said I'd save the biggest one for her for her Christmas dinner. She was delighted.

I also bought two large cakes that were reduced from £8 each to £4 for the Chocolate Dome and £2.40 for the Carrot Cake. Both of these serve 10 people each. These should last us over a week at least and I'll make sure I share a quarter each with my dad. The chocolate dome cake has sweeties hidden under the chocolate dome - yum!




My other reductions were four packs of bacon lardons £1.40 down to 40p a pack. I use these in casseroles to give some additional flavour.


Two packs of casserole vegetables with potatoes. These are great with chicken joints or beef and I have some stewing steak in the freezer so will de-frost this and use these packs to make a couple of casseroles later this week. I'll pop in the button mushrooms too which were reduced to 45p.



My last bargain buy was a pack of four cheese scones reduced to 65p from £1.60 which will be lovely as a lunchtime meal on one of the days that I am working from home this week. They are nice toasted in the roster with a sliver of cheese or just buttered.


Now at these prices I think we can try to eat a champagne diet on a lemonade budget. I know the items are short dated but as I put the items in the freezer I have no problems with this. I saved over £200 on the turkey alone.

Think we are going to be eating a lot of turkey.....

No comments: