Pages

Friday 28 April 2017

A Few More Reductions

I've been a bit slapdash this week with my meal planning as I did not prepare any mid week meals for us last weekend. I normally like to pre plan meals for the week and do some prep so that I can just get something ready made out of the fridge and pop it in the oven or cook quickly on the hob.

This has meant that I have called into the supermarket twice on the way home from work. I usually call into the Marks & Spencers at the retail park which I know can usually be expensive but as my regular readers also know I normally manage to find some great bargains with their reductions.

This week I bought this gorgeous planter in white ceramic containing two minature Cala lilies in a sunny yellow. This was reduced from £15 to £5.25 which I think is pretty good. The lady at the till said she had bought some a couple of years ago and had planted them out in her garden once they had finished flowering. She said they had flourished so I think I may try this myself.



I bought some wood fired pizzas that were reduced from £6 each to £1.50. I think £6 is pretty steep for a pizza but £1.50 is a good price for these large fancy pizzas. I had one for my evening meal last night and it was delicious. The crust was still slightly soft but crisp and not hard and crunchy - just the way I like them.



I found a couple of old style minced beef and onion pies that were on a half price offer at £2 from £4, and then managed to find a couple that were reduced further to £1.60. This is the kind of food that David loves - "man's food" - so I'll treat him to pie and chips in the next week or so. They are currently in my freezer.


Some caramel crisp bites reduced from £2.50 to £1.30 although these had been on offer at 2 tubs for £4. These are great as a little treat with a cup of tea or coffee or for taking into the office as part of my  lunch.


I often look for reductions on the tinned and dry goods aisles and I found a couple of packs of mini lemon meringues reduced from £1.20 to 40p although they were on offer at 2 packs for £2. I have a couple of ideas on how to use these and my favourite will be to make some individual lemon Eton mess desserts.


I'll use some of the home made lemon curd that the lady from the carboot sale gave me last weekend. I tried some on my morning toast this week and it is absolutely delicious and definitely beats shop bought hands down. If I see her this weekend I think I'll be buying her full stock as I love a curd over a jam anytime.


I also found a tin of mango slices reduced from £1 to 40p. These are in syrup whereas I'm normally a juice person but I thought I'd try these anyway given the price. These will be lovely with some plain yogurt for a dessert or for breakfast.


We have the bank holiday weekend ahead so plenty time to eat some if my bargain finds from this week but more importantly two days of carboot sales. I'll post my finds on Sunday and Monday. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

PS - I have recently seen a huge increase in traffic from readers in the USA. Do I really have this many readers in America? I would love it if someone could leave a comment to let me know that they are a USA reader as I am sure it must be a mistake - surely I'm not getting 250 readers a day from the USA for my little blog!




No comments: