Pages

Tuesday 25 April 2017

Bargain Shopping at Expensive Supermarkets

Since David retired he has more time on hands and nowadays sometimes comes food shopping with me. When he worked he never came food shopping with me at all. To be honest I preferred it that way as he is rubbish at loading items at the checkout and packing and initially I had to re-pack it all. He now knows to keep out of the way and just stand there while I do all the work and is usually glared at by any female cashiers who clearly think he should be lending me a hand. I sometimes explain to them that I prefer to pack and they knowingly nod at me.

He does have his uses in that he now has both a Waitrose card and a Booths card so I get double bubble on vouchers, newspapers and we both get a free coffee too. He was given £8 off a £40 shop on Saturday with his card whereas I got a boring voucher for a half price fancy pie that I was never going to buy. I snaffled his voucher and popped over to Waitrose late this afternoon for a top up of fresh vegetables and wine and I also had four vouchers from Saturday's paper for £4.30 magazines at £2.50 each. I know I just bought a load of magazines on Sunday at the carboot sale, but I am a real magazine lover and do like to treat myself to the odd new one when it is on offer or has a good freebie with it.

I struck lucky with Jersey Royal potatoes reduced from £2.50 a bag to 39p each. There were loads of bags reduced (who pays £2.50 for a small bag of potatoes even if they are Jersey Royals?) so I bought 6 bags. I always empty my potatoes into one of two pillow cases that I have just for keeping my potatoes fresh. They get a chance to breathe so don't go sweaty or sprout, stay in the dark so don't go green and last a long time. I have one pillow case for new potatoes and one for standard potatoes.


I also managed to buy two bags of Maris Pipers reduced from £1.71 to 49p. We are now at capacity for potatoes which should last a good couple of weeks.


Two packs of 4 un-waxed lemons reduced from £1.20 to 29p. Gin & tonic anyone?


Two packs of organic raspberries from Duchy Originals. This company is owned by Prince Charles so I do hope he picked them for me (!!!) These were reduced from £2.50 to 99p a pack. I will take one pack for lunch tomorrow at work which I will have with some of the reduced yogurt that I bought at 89p reduced from £1.95. Again who buys yogurt at £1.95 a pot? I know that it is a fancy brand and a large pot but I think that is pricey.



I was somewhat shocked to see the price of cauliflower. These two should have cost £1.80 each. I think that is an extortionate price to pay but I don't mind paying 69p. I will cut these into florets and use some fresh and plain along with some other boiled veg. Most of it I will partially cook, drain and then smother with a home made cheese sauce with a little grated cheese on top. I'll portion these up into two portion dishes and then freeze them for using later on. I keep the metal dishes that some ready made meals come in, wash them and then re-use them for times like this.


My favourite finds were the reduced bottles of wine - both white and red and all reduced from between £5.99 and £6.49 a bottle to £3.49 each. Now that is a good price for a half decent bottle of plonk. I bought four reds and four whites. The reds I bought were two bottles of Californian Cabernet Sauvignon and two bottles of French Shiraz and the whites were four bottles of  Fench Semillon Sauvignon Blanc. Now £3.49 a bottle was a result.




I know that I could buy cheaper ranges in cheaper supermarkets but over time we have come to love the idea of having expensive brands but only if we can buy them at an affordable price and so this means at a reduced price. 

No comments: