Pages

Friday 6 February 2015

Wonderful Waitrose

At the end of December I knew that Waitrose would be selling off some of their Christmas stock at reduced prices so called in late at the end of the day. I know that I said I was going to start shopping at home and that I have too much food in my pantry and freezers but I cannot resist some clearance bargains.

I was so pleased that I called in when I did as I managed to find quite a number of bargains. They had large boxes of McVities Family Circle biscuits for £1.25. The best before date is September 2015 so at that price I bought 4 boxes.



I also stocked up on quite a few packs of fresh meat as they were double reduced on the reduction counter. Packs of chicken breast chunks were £4 each but reduced to 89p. If you bought three packs then they were on offer at £10 saving £2. As I have mentioned before, Waitrose have a glitch where the offer still comes off reduced priced items. So I bought two lots of 3 packs of chicken which cost £2.67 less the £2 off so they cost me 67p for the 3 packs.  I also found two packs of Aberdeen Angus beef mince reduced from £4.29 a pack to £2.25. If you bought two packs they were £7 saving £1.58. So they cost £2.92 but I had a voucher for £3 off Angus beef so Waitrose actually gave me 8p for the mince. I used some last weekend to make a huge batch of bolognese sauce which is now in the freezer ready for a mid-week pasta meal.



I also bought two packs of pork steaks for the ridiculous price of 62p and 99p. They had been reduced from around the £3.90 to £4.20 mark and two packets of fresh haddock fillets which were 75% off their full price and these were £1.55 and £1.65 a pack.

My sister had kindly given me some vouchers to use in Waitrose too so I had a £10 off a £40 shop and £2 off wine in addition to the £3 off beef voucher that I've already mentioned. I bought some bottles of cava for us to drink and achieved the £40 level for the £10 off. 

Yesterday I did my normal weekly shop and managed to get the following bargains from the clearance shelf. Two packs of Deli style coleslaw at 69p each so £1.38. Full price was £1.99 each and they had a two for £3 offer so 98p came of my bill and so they cost 40p for the two.



Two packs of cheddar cheese with balsamic onion at 99p each so £1.98.  These should have cost £2.75 each and they had a two for £4 offer so £1.50 came off my bill and so they cost 48p for the two.



I bought three packs of fine green beans which should have been £1 each but I paid 25p each. They had an offer on with three packs for £2.50 so 50p came off my bill and so they cost 25p for the three packs.



I found some scrummy pain aux raisins in a pack of four for 79p instead of £1.79 which will be great for breakfast. Some four packs of fromage frais for 49p instead of £1.06 and some casserole vegetable packs that were on offer at £1.50 down to £1 with a third off and then reduced to 49p.  I will be using my slow cooker and making a casserole this weekend.





I got my free newspaper which would have cost 60p and my free latte coffee which costs £2.10 normally. Who said shopping at Waitrose is expensive?

No comments: