Pages

Sunday 22 February 2015

Shopping at Costco

I am fortunate enough to have a Costco store about 5 miles away from where I live and we go through fits and starts in shopping there. We visited two weeks ago and realised that our card had expired in November last year so clearly we had not been for some months. Having visited two weeks ago we went again last week because we could see what savings could be had if you shopped wisely and know the prices of items at other supermarkets and shops to compare prices. 


We went for cat food as we have one fussy pussy in our house. She was a stray who was eating stale bread that we had thrown out for the birds. Several years later and she will only eat the best of the best. She has recently decided that she likes Sheba and this is a reasonable price at Costco costing £2.74 for a box of 12 sachets. They only come in packs of 4X12 so we bought several packs which will last her some time. I give her a pack or two of the Sheba each day along with a cheaper brand which she tolerates.



I was delighted to find some reduced mini chocolate brownie bites at just 97p for a large tub. There were eight of these available but I thought to buy them all was overkill so bought four. They should have been £4.49 a box but they were clearly reducing stock and this was the end of line. As we were going away for 5 days last Saturday with my sister and her family we took a couple of boxes as we knew they would soon disappear especially with my 16 year old nephew around. Sure enough he would grab handfuls and disappear with them. They are delicious and just the right size for popping in lunch boxes as a cheeky snack.


We buy a lot of the items that are on their two week offers as they can work out significantly cheaper than supermarkets but you have to be careful in that sometimes the supermarkets have some great offers on and they can work out cheaper than Costco. You really do need to know your prices and only buy when you know you are not going to get stung. PG Tips is my preferred tea brand for everyday tea. I prefer this over other brands such as Tetley although Twinings are my favourite but just too expensive for everyday tea. I bought this large bag as they were on offer at £5.49 instead of £6.99 for 460 bags, and this will last us for some time. I have a tea-caddy and will decant the teabags into this as this is much more user friendly and more attractive than getting your tea from a massive catering pack each day.




I do a fair amount of decanting from large packs from Costco. I buy small bottles or jars to use on a regular basis but fill these up with food etc from large catering packs. I bought this huge jar of mango chutney from Morecambe Festival Market while we were away for £1. It tastes delicious and I will decant it into glass jars that I have stored after I have finished eating the original content. I always give them a good wash, sometimes peeling off the labels if they look tatty. I sometimes buy pate, jams or chutneys in kilner jars and then I always re-use them. I find these so useful for storing just about everything in my kitchen.



No comments: