Pages

Thursday 5 February 2015

First Car Boot Sale of the Year

My sister and nephew came to stay for the weekend last weekend arriving Saturday lunchtime and leaving Sunday afternoon. We went shopping at The Lowry on Saturday afternoon and I bought a lovely floral tunic blouse for £6 from the Marks & Spencer Outlet. My sister bought quite a few items for herself & her family as they do not have an M&S outlet near where she lives so she takes advantage of any visits to me to do some outlet shopping.




Saturday evening we had my Dad visit and we all sat around the dinner table drinking wine and eating a huge Chinese banquet from our local take-away. It was a lovely evening with candles lit on the mantle piece and on the table and good conversation and laughter. The food was pretty good too and even better that our take-away is only a short walk away so we could all have a drink and relax.

My sister is an avid car booter and there are two near where she lives that are open all year round so she was keen to see if there was one open near me although it was the 1st February. I remembered that we drive past one which is open all year round when we are on the way to the Cheshire car boot sale in the summer so off we went Sunday morning. It was a lovely sunny morning but freezing so there were only a few stalls and most of these were traders but I managed to find one lovely couple who had some lovely items for sale.

I bought three cookery books from them and am particularly pleased with the Spanish cookery book called Movida Rustica - Spanish traditions and recipes. This is a beautiful book with interesting stories of the author's travels around Spain and recipes. I have found it for sale on Amazon if you are interested. It is a hard back book and is priced at £25. Amazon have it for sale at £19.99 new or £11.99 used. I paid £1 and the two other books were also £1. These were Paul Hollywood - How to Bake and Rachel Allen - Bake. Both of these were originally priced at £20 so I suppose I bought £65 of books for £3. They all look new and have just been flicked through by their previous owners. 








The only other item I found was a lovely Christmas Disney mug with Eeyore on the handle. I thought this would be great for hot chocolate on a cold and frosty day and at 50p I could not resist. I had forgotten to take my glasses with me (I had to get reading glasses a year ago for close up sight) so had to ask David to check there were no chips or cracks in it before I handed my money over. I know 50p is not much to lose but there is nothing worse than finding your purchase is broken when you get home.





My sister managed to buy a couple of items of clothing for £2 each which is more than she usually pays (she is a 50p - £1 kind of gal) but they were new and she really wanted some more cardigans given the chilly weather we have been having lately.

We cannot wait for the full carbooting season to start but this will be a couple of months away so I may re-visit this carboot sale again to see what other bargains can be had.

No comments: