Pages

Saturday 21 February 2015

Lancashire Weekend Break

We have just spent a few days away on the Lancashire Cumbria border staying at Pine Lake Resort just above Carnforth. My sister and her family had booked a log cabin for the week and David and I stayed with them for a long weekend. The weather was lovely with plenty of sunshine but there was a chill in air so you needed to be wrapped up.

The cabin looked out over the lake with the hills just visible in the distance. It was lovely sitting out on the veranda with a cup of tea and the papers first thing in the morning although it was a little chilly so a coat was needed but it was great to be out in the fresh air.




There a cute leisure complex with small swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. We spent one evening having a leisurely swim and I sat in the jacuzzi for some time resting my aching bones after all the walking.

We visited Morecambe which in it's heyday had been a must-go-to holiday destination for the workers of the North West. It is a little sad now but I have a fondness for the place as we used to visit when I was a little girl and we were staying at Grange-over-Sands on the opposite side of Morecambe bay. We also went to Lancaster and Grange-over-Sands for a few hours and wandered around looking in some of the shops. 

I have a love of the author M.C.Beaton who has written a series of books about a character called Agatha Raisin. I managed to find three of them in a charity shop in Grange and was delighted that they were as new and that shop had an offer of 3 books for the price of 2. As they were 50p each it meant that I pad £1 for the 3 books. I also found an as-new dressing gown for £2.50 in the same shop. It is made from a lovely soft fluffy material so great for the cold mornings we have been having.



I also found various DVDs for £1 each or less so I bought Dragnet, the series Black Adder goes Forth, the series The West Wing, Changeling, SuckerPunch, Cliff Hanger, Penelope and a box set of three DVDs which included Braveheart, The Thomas Crown Affair and Man on Fire. I found several magazines at 20p each for having a flick through.



There is one stall on Morecambe market where they have a system of fill a carrier bag for £1 with anything they have available. It is mainly second hand books and bric a brac and the owners say that they are saving the items from going into landfill. They are doing their bit for the planet and making a small amount of money in the process. My sister and I shared a bag and filled it mainly with books. I got two hard back books, one was a Gary Rhodes cook book and the other a Gok Wan book. Not bad at 25p each. The Gok Wan book will be flicked through and then put in the charity bag I think but the cook book has some really good recipes in it which are simple to make. There were also three paperback books including Toast written by Nigel Slater who is one of my favourite cooks.



We are going to Tenerife for a week in April with extended family. The boys all think it is great fun to wear Hawaiian shirts although this is not something that David possesses so I was luck to find a fairly muted one for £1.99 in the Barnardos shop in Morecambe. I don't think David will win the competition for the loudest shirt with this but it is reasonably wearable for in the evening. It is 100% cotton and looks fairly new so a good purchase.

We had a lovely stay and it was great to see my sister and her family but it was equally nice to come home. As we get older we are finding that we are becoming real homebodies who love being in our home. It is not the best house in the world but it is our home and we love it.


No comments: