Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2015

Two Carboot Sales

We knew that it was going to start raining on Sunday at around 11am so we were up and out early to the Cheshire Carboot sale. We had my sister and nephew with us as they had come to stay for the weekend. We arrived at 7.30am and were finished by 9.30am as there were only a couple of rows of stalls. Even so I bought some bargains and these included the following.

Two lovely Yankee Candle votive holders in black and old gold colours. These held a votive each in two different scents: Under the Palms and Citrus Tango. These cost £1 for all four items which is unbelievably cheap as the votives alone usually cost £1.80 each. The votive holders range in price but I suppose they would have cost around £3 each judging by prices on the Yankee Candle website. So just under £10 worth items for £1.



I also bought a boxed set of 9 tealights from The Candle Factory in Ocean Dreams scent for 50p. You can never have enough scented tealights as far as I am concerned.


I loved the French soaps that I bought the other week so much that I kept an eye open for the trader who sold them to me. Sure enough I found her again and bought 6 bars of soap for £2. I bought 1 bar of Vanilla Bourbon scent, 2 bars of Almond & Honey and 3 bars of Lemon Vervain. These are made in France, contain 25% Shea butter cream and smell divine. I found the Institut Karite website for the shop in Paris and had a look at the range they sell and the soaps normally sell for €6 each although they are on offer at the moment at €4.55. This makes the 33p cost that I paid for each one a bargain.



The lady I bought the Yankee candles from also sold me a full bottle of Clinique mild liquid facial soap for £1. This is usually £16.50 to buy and I like to use a liquid or cream facial soap rather than a bar of soap to wash my face.



There were a few stalls selling home items and I found these two cushions for £1 each which look like new. The lady selling them said she had bought them only recently. I love the little doggy on the front and think these will be great to use outside on the patio chairs. They are well made with a concealed zip. She was also selling this fine china tealight holder which has snowmen engraved into it. I think this will look lovely at Christmas on the windowsill once it is lit and the snowman design shines through. This was also £1.







I like to use hot plate food warmers on our dining table when we have guests round for a meal. There is nothing worse than eating luke warm food so when we put food into serving dishes we put them on the food warmers to keep the food at a hot temperature. We had a Chinese take away on Saturday night and ordered a banquet for 4. This was plenty for the five of us (my Dad came round) and we put the food out on a warmer that we already have. This one was £3 and identical to the one we currently have. It is made bySalter/Russell Hobbs.

I picked up a couple of 50p items from different stalls such as the Chanel Quick Shine for Nails in natural (usually around £14) and a bath bomb by Bomb Cosmetics called "in the mood" (around £2.09 to £2.29 each) plus four DVDs, one of which has not been opened and is still in it's cellophane. I also bought the boxed set of the complete series of Ever Decreasing Circles staring the late and the great Richard Briers. I loved this series when it was first shown on the BBC in the late 1980s. I have watched repeats of them but was delighted to find this for £2 in mint condition.





I like Cross pens and journals and found this cute Cross ladies watch on a stall where a couple were selling lots of items that I had been given as wedding gifts. The lady said she felt bad but they had received so many items that they were overwhelmed and had decided to have a clearout. They were selling 12 bottles of champagne as they had received loads as gifts and so we bought a bottle of Moët at £15 and I also bought the watch at £3. It needs a battery but David will,sort this for me. I looked on line at Cross watches and was horrified at the expensive price when I had just paid £3 but I suppose better for me to use than for to have it sitting in a cupboard unused and unloved.

My final purchase was this handy DKNY bag for £1 which will be useful for shopping and taking away for weekends to carry a few bits and pieces in.



As I had my sister and nephew with us I thought we may aswell take them to another Carboot sale near Wimslow. We have not been to this before but managed to find it easy enough. It was 10 o'clock when we got there and there were only a few stalls selling mainly scruffy stuff but I still managed to find a new and unused Soap & Glory toiletry bag for 50p, a packet of two Liz Earle pure muslin cloths for 50p and two new and boxed candle holders from Partylite which were £1.50. I already have two of these and they are supposed to resemble ice cubes. I think it will be useful to have four as I will be able to have them down the centre of our oblong dining table.







David bought a selection of items including a Rochs John Rocha T shirt which was new with tags for £1.50 and a Marks & Spencer Autograph shirt for £2 which fits him beautifully. My sister bought boots, sandals, a travel bag on wheels with pulling handle and some clothes for herself and her daughter.


No comments: