Pages

Sunday 5 July 2015

Saturday Evening in the Garden

The weather has been so warm over the last week that we have spent a lot of time in the garden. Nothing beats an evening sitting in the garden when it is warm and sunny. We sit drinking some chilled white wine, reading, listening to music and chatting. Every so often I have to get up and clear some leaves or weeds or dead head some flowers as I am one of those people who struggle to sit still unless I am on holiday where I have made an art out of sitting still.

We built our patio ourselves out of spare 3 by 2 flags given to us from my mum, dad, grandad and friend. These were collected over several months and the patio grew in size each time we were given some. We laid the patio in the spot that gets most of the sun and in particular the last of the sun at the end of the day. It happens to be at the back of the garden between the garage and greenhouse and under 3 huge trees that we are unable to touch as they have a preservation order on them. We have grown to love these trees and when looking up from our wooden seats it is mesmerising to see all the leaves against the blue sky.






I am pleased with my planted pots which I filled with a mixture of bedding plants bought for £1 a pack of 6 from the Cheshire car  boot sale earlier this year. They have burst into bloom over the last couple of weeks with the bursts of rain and sunshine that we have been having.



I love sitting on the patio and facing the back of our house and looking at the garden when I have just mown the lawn. Yesterday when my dad visited he gasped at the beauty of the white clover flowers covering the lawn. I had thought - ugh weeds yet he said the lawn looked beautiful in a carpet of white. I felt bad mowing the down after he had gone but a neat lawn settles my slight OCD compulsions. The smell of the clover was lovely as I was cutting the grass so I look forward to it growing again and I know it will be back in a fortnight. 



The sun is shining now but I think we are due for rain again this afternoon so I look forward to the next sunny evening this week to kick back with a G & T or chilled wine and a leisurely chat with David.


No comments: