Pages

Tuesday 21 July 2015

Another Cheshire Carboot Sale

I know I always seem to st art these carboot posts about the weather but it is a major factor on the number of sellers and so number of bargains to be had. This Sunday it was wet and I mean very wet. There was one point when the rain came down so hard that we took refuge under a tarpaulin that a lady was holding over her stall. Within moments, six other buyers had done the same and the great British spirit came out with us all laughing and chatting. The stall holders dog was the only one that was dry because it was sat on the front seat of the car. The rain stopped about 10 minutes later and we had dried off with minutes as the sun came out and the anoraks came off.

So this Sunday it was a little mundane and I find that I am repeating myself on last weeks purchases. There has just not been the volume of stalls and good weather to bring the home clearance car booters  out. You must know the ones I mean. Those who have redecorated or had a change of style and are selling everything from a matching kettle and toaster to table lamps, cushions and throws.

I bought my favourite Yankee Candle tealights in Fresh Cut Roses scent for 50p. It is a box of 12 tealights and these normally cost £6.99 so I was pleased with the 50p price. I think these will be burnt during some summer evenings over the next week or two.



I said last week that I would not buy any more Soap and Glory products as I now have enough for Christmas presents for my sister and niece. But..... who can resist 3 full sized brand new bottles for £1 for all three. When I asked the lady the price and she said £1, I thought she meant £1 each so thought this was a good price. I gave her a £5 note and expected £2 change but when she gave me £4 back I realised she had meant £1 for all three so just over 33p for each item. The first is a bottle of pump action Clean on Me shower gel which I guess is worth about £6.50. There is a tube of Whipped Clean shower gel which currently sells for £7 and a bottle of Calm One and Calm All bubble bath which is £6 at the moment. So £19.50 worth of bath & shower products for £1. I am keeping these for myself.





I bought 6 travel sized items for 50p each from another lady. Marc Jacobs Daisy shower gel, DKNY Be Delicious body lotion, Clinique clarifying lotion, Elizabeth Arden toner, Elizabeth Arden Exfoliating Cleanser and Soap & Glory Glad Hair Day shampoo. For 20p I got a Soap & Glory hand Gel which currently sells for £2.50. I also bought a boxed set of two large Lush bath bombs for £1. These are usually £3.35 each so not a bad price.





My regular readers will know how much I love Samsonite luggage. I buy suitcases or vanity cases to store items in and when I found this brand new vanity case I thought it was a cheerful shade of red and a snip at £2. Samsonite are currently selling a similar style for £65.




Both David and I currently have quite a few IKEA storage boxes for DVDs, CDs and Videos... Yes we still have videos. IKEA no longer stock the range we have so we keep a look out for these at car boot sales. We bought 2 large boxes and 2 small boxes this Sunday for £8 for all 4. Not very cheap as we have picked them up before now for 50p but as these were in excellent condition and we really wanted them we parted with the money.

I bought my usual collection of DVDs and paid no more than 50p for them. Three of these are boxed sets. Miranda - series 1&2 with a £14.99 price sticker on it and the Bourne series staring Matt Damon and containing 3 films. I have these already but know my dad will be pleased with them as part of a Christmas gift. The last set is Bill Bailey in three different live sets. I love his humour but bought this for David when he was left behind at a stall buying numerous vinyl LPs for 20p each. He just got there before a dealer turned up and bought what David left behind looking rather miffed.

My last buy was a large padded white cloth beach bag with grey handles and detailing. This must have come free with a Dolce & Gabbana perfume as it has a large luggage tag with D&G Light Blue stamped on it. This was just £2 and has never been used. I think it is quite stylish and will be taken away with me when we go to Turkey in October.



Not an especially sparkling week but not too bad. What bargains did you find this week?

No comments: