Pages

Tuesday 2 August 2016

Shellac Nails

It has been my first attempt at doing shellac nails myself with the UV lamp that I bought at the Cheshire carboot sale last week for £3 and the nail varnishes I bought this week for £5 each





After buying the CND Shellac base coat, top coat and four colour varnishes I went on their website to do some research before starting to apply the varnishes to my nails. I was itching to get started but thought it would be waste of time, money and effort if I just ploughed in there like a bull in a china shop. So I found out from the website that each coat needed 10 seconds curing under the light and I made sure each coat was cured for a little more than 10 seconds to be safe.


Given that I still have a tan I thought I would go for a cheeky coral pink from my limited selection of colours. This colour is called Tropix Color.



I was pleased with the consistency of all the products as they were not too runny and thin but equally not too gloopy and thick. They went on very easily and the coverage of the colour was good. I noticed that the coloured varnish had a section on the side of the box that stated the colour was opaque and looking at the website I noticed they have different coverage levels such as sheer. I think I am an opaque person as I like a heavy glossy appearance to my nails.


My finger nails took just moments to do and if I say so myself they looked salon standard. I had been a bit messy with my right thumb nail but I just had to give the edge of my nail a file with an emery board to get rid of the messy edge and it was good to go.

The top coat polish is tacky once finished and I used a drop of nail varnish remover on a cotton wool pad to remove the stickiness and this left me with a glossy finish.


It was then onto my toenails which were just as easy to complete. I put the UV lamp on the floor and bent down to apply the polish. Yes it is easier when this is being done for you but I just thought of the ££s I was saving and the good the stretching was doing me.

The shellac is supposed to last around 14 days of no chip finish so I'll let you know how I got on in two weeks time. From my experience my toe nails normally last longer than 14 days and I would say around 21 days before they need a pedicure and re-polish.


I can't believe that I have been paying a fortune at nail salons when I could have been doing my own shellac nails at a fraction of the price. This literally cost me pence to do.

Do any of you do your own gel or shellac nails?

No comments: