Pages

Saturday 19 March 2016

Scouts Jumble Sale & M&S Splurge

I love a good old fashioned jumble sale. We do not see that many adverts in the local paper for them these days but two local scout groups do hold a jumble sale a couple of times a year. One of them has a "fill a black bin bag for £5" approach whereas the other follows the conventional "how much is this?" line. I prefer the second option. I love that they are always held in dusty community halls with a little serving hatch offering cups of tea and coffee and occasionally home made scones and cakes. It makes me feel so British somehow.

I spent the grand total of £4.20 and that included 50p entrance fee. So what did £3.70 get me?

I bought two portable CD players at 35p each. One is a Panasonic one and the other a Sony one complete with headphones. Both of these are for David. Even though we listen to downloaded music you can't beat listening to CDs sometimes. I think they will eventually go the same way as vinyl (or LPs and singles as we still call them).


I bought two boxed sets of DVDs. The complete Fawlty Towers and Mapp & Lucia starring Prunella Scales & Geraldine McEwan for 35p each. I also bought two Michael Sheen DVDs - Frost/Nixon & The Damned United for 70p for the two.




I found a massive Hugo Boss duffel bag with insulated cooler section at the bottom for 50p for my David.


I bought this huge Costa coffee cup and saucer for 50p and have already drunk a gingerbread latte out of it. It holds the same amount as one of my mugs but it felt a little more elegant to be drinking out of a cup & saucer than a mug.



I also bought two beer glasses for David for 20p each (18oz ones rather than 20oz) and two brand new (complete with labels) cereal bowls that have come from Sainsburys. I already have this style and chucked a few away last month as they had small chips in them. These cost me 50p for the two.


I bought 3 books for 20p each. One heavy weight book is a small gift for my golfing mad Dad. The other two are a couple of paperbacks for me to read on holiday.



Five 10p each buys were 4 bottle of car cleaner and brake fluid for David's BMW. I had forgotten to take my reading glasses so could not see what they were exactly, but could see the price tickets on them were from our local BMW garage so knew they would be right for him. My fifth 10p was on a pack of vacuum cleaner bags. I didn't take pictures of these as they are a bit boring!

The clothes and shoes that they had for sale were 5 items for £2 but I could not find anything that tempted me and just ended up with lots of bric-a-brac instead.

I usually like to treat myself to a couple of new items of clothing for the spring/summer and the Autumn/winter seasons. In general, I don't always need all of the items but I sometimes find that we can be mean with ourselves and after working long hours I sometimes find I need to reward myself. 

So M&S have had a half price sale on some items and I was also sent a 20% off voucher code last weekend. This called for a bit of a splurge and here are the items that I bought. Firstly I had been looking at this loose swing dress for a few weeks. I thought it would be great thrown over a swimsuit by the pool or for wearing down to the beach and I thought I might me able to wear it for a wander around the resort for our summer holidays.



This was half price at £9 and I used the click collect delivery service so picked up 48 hours later. I love it as it is such a versatile little dress. A few days later  when I got the code through via email I went on the M&S site again and found the same dress in a Paisley design and had to have it. This cost more but I thought "so what!" and splurged £14.40 on it.





I love navy stripes. I don't know why but I do. I also know that V neck t shirts suit me better than round neck or boat neck. A V neck makes my bust seem less large and is more flattering to my chin & neck. This half price t shirt was about £5 half price and I thought would look great with shorts, jeans or even worn with a trousers suit at work.



I bought two pairs of straight leg jeans - denim blue and black. I have got bored with wearing skinny jeans and jeggings and felt like I wanted some straight leg ones for a change. Being tall I am kind of in between long and standard in the leg length. Is I buy long they look great with boots with heels but if I wear flats they drag on the floor and fray. If I buy standard they can fly around my ankles like a flag. I plumped for standard and they a smidgin short. I am in two minds as to whether to keep these or not. I had bought them for wearing during the day with flat ties and may keep them, as when I first tried them on the material was new and stiff and I know with some wearing they will soften and fall a little lower with wear. These were £14.40 each.







Lastly I bought this long t shirt style maxi dress. Not exactly exciting but oh so practical and useful for a British Summer. I can wear this with flat ties during the day and I know this will good accessorised with scarves, jewellery, and a denim jacket. I can also wear it with a smart jacket and a low heeled shoe for work. 



No comments: