Pages

Monday 15 February 2016

Valentine's Day Weekend at Pine Lake

I love going to stay at Pine Lake resort on the edge of the Lake District. We visit here usually a couple of times a year in February and October. My sister organises it all and David and I just turn up which is lovely for me as usually I am the one organising everything. 

We arrived Saturday afternoon for the 4pm check in and there was just the four of us for the weekend with my nephew coming later in the week. My sister has booked the cabin for the whole week and will be spending it with her husband and son. David and I are here until Wednesday when we return home. I am working Wednesday afternoon and David is back at work on Thursday.

After a lazy Saturday evening with plenty of drinks I had an early night at just after 9pm because I was shattered after a 4.30am start on Saturday morning. I woke on Sunday morning and looked out to this view from our cabin. Just lovely and so good for the soul.





I have a fondness for Morecambe even though it is a shadow of it's former glory days as a British holiday destination for the northern working class. It has shown signs of improvement over recent years but is still a little rough around the edges. I don't care as I love the place. I love that it has an indoor market which is bustling and is something that seems to be on the decline in areas around where I live. We always go on a Sunday as there is one stall that sells groceries at silly prices. The food and drink is usually near to its best before date but as I am sure you all know this does not bother me. Occasionally they give some items away for free with any purchase as they are past their best before date. When we visited in October last year we came home with bottles of burger relish for free. This visit I bought the following:

3 medium sized bottles of Heinz ketchup £1 for all 3
8 packets of Tyrell's posh popcorn in coconut & caramel flavour 10p each
6 large packs of Green Giant sweetcorn £2 for all 6
3 large tubs of Waitrose rocky road minibites £1 for all 3
4 large Soreen malt loaves £1 for all 4
5 boxes of Ella organic bars - 2 different flavours - £1 for all 5
3 medium size bags of peanut M&Ms £1 for all 3
8 bars of Oh Henry chocolate bars for £2 for all 8
8 packs of 4 Bisto Vegetable stock pots for £2 for all 8
2 packs of cheese and sesame savoury biscuit bites for 50p for the 2









There are also a few car boot stalls who are all traders on the nearby car park. I bought 3 DVDs for £1 each (one case had two films inside!) A pair of brand new Tommy & Kate sandals for £2 for selling on eBay for a few £ profit.

There is one stall that has "fill a bag for £1" and the stall holder gave us a huge bag. Between the four us we filled it up to the brim with all sorts of gubbins and decided to give the stall holder £2. She refused at first but eventually relented. You would not believe what we got for our £1 stake. Vinyl albums, DVDs, CDs, a Technics CD player remote control, Nikon camera case, box troll toy, Hello Kitty and Olympic Games plush toys, books etc etc etc. All for £1!!!! Some has been bought for selling on and some for ourselves. The remote control is worth £20 on ebay but we need one for our CD player as ours has broken so finding this was a real result. 

We have another 3 days here so have plans to go to Carnforth (David Lean filmed Brief Encounter on Carnforth station), Milnthorpe and Grange over Sands. I'll let you know what we do and what bargains we find in the charity shops. If you ever go to Carnforth, the station has a Brief Encounter Experience which is incredibly sweet to visit.




No comments: