Pages

Tuesday 9 February 2016

Another M&S Food Haul

After the £600 supermarket spending in January I am really working hard on curbing my grocery spending and some of this has meant just not going to them in the first place. Last weekend I did not go shopping at all. This is pretty much a first for me as I get tempted by the free lattes and newspapers and early evening bargains. David even asked me whether I was going to Booths or Waitrose on Sunday when he realised I had not ventured out.

Instead I have been making quick and dirty trips to Marks & Spencer late in the day to pick up reductions. I have then partnered the reductions with food I already have in the house. Yesterday I got to M&S at 5pm after leaving work at 4pm. I only wanted a couple of things but stocked up on reduced fresh ingredients that will last the rest of the week for us. My spend was £18.60 and this bought some fancy foods for us.

Three lots of flavoured new potatoes - one garlic & rosemary and two Spanish flavoured. These were 60p a bag. Rosemary potatoes at 60p and roasting Mediterranean vegetables at £1.40. I am planning on having these as side dishes to some evening meals of some lamb chops and fish that I have in the freezer. 


I bought two lots of fresh fruit cocktail at £1.20 each and will have these for lunch over the next couple of days. I love red cabbage so was pleased to find three portions of red cabbage with apple for 60p. These freeze really well so they are already in the freezer. The portion of green vegetables will be eaten this week with some of the potatoes mentioned above with meat in the freezer.



Who can resist a loaf for 25p?. Personally I am not a lover of white sliced bread but David loves it and only has white bread sandwiches and toast so this will last for the rest of the week and the crusts will feed the birds in the garden. What I do love is fruity bread toasted for breakfast so I bought this loaf for 80p. This has gone in the freezer too so that I can take it away with me to the Lake District this weekend.


There were some reductions left over from Christmas - brandy butter at 10p a jar so I bought two as I use this to butter hot cross buns or panettone to make bread and butter pudding. It is the easiest pudding to make and was one of my first ever posts here. I also bought two packs of unusual sounding snack biscuits - goats cheese, fig & hazelnut. These were just 30p a pack and are not out date. These will also be going away with us to the Lake District as these will be great to eat with a glass of wine while we relax taking in the view across the lake where we are staying. Bliss. Oh and two packs of fancy cheddar cheese at £1.40 a pack. I usually cut up a block into finger size pieces and put them in David's lunch box and we love cheese and biscuits.



Lastly I bought a ready meal for my lunch today which was a cod bake at £1.15 (far cheaper and healthier than a sandwich) and some tandoori prawns at just 65p. The prawns are in the freezer and I don't know what I will do with these but guess they may go in a salad.


I hope reducing the number of trips to the supermarket and buying less will mean I spend considerably less this month.

No comments: