Pages

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Final Full Day

It was our final full day in the Lake District yesterday and despite waking at 6am we were confined to our bedroom as my sister's family are all late risers and we had already been chastised for talking at 6.45am on a previous morning and waking people up. David and I are larks whereas they are owls. We woke again to a beautiful sunrise over the lake and I just could not resist taking another photo of it.


After a leisurely breakfast of bacon sandwiches and Danish pastries (we are on holiday after all!) we went into Morecambe again for a quick trip around a couple of shops and a revisit to the cheap
grocery stall on the market. I spent £10 on all sorts of bits and pieces:

8 boxes of 4 Oxo Rosemary & Herb stock pots for £2 for all 8
2 medium sized jars of baby beetroot for £1 for  the 2
6 packets of Reece's pieces for £1
5 Cadburys marvellous mix up chocolate bars for £1
12 packets of small tubes of toothpaste (bigger than travel size) for £2.50
2 large bags of Mike & Ike jelly beans for £1.50 for the 2
2 large bags of Whitworths cinnamon fruit & nut snacks £1 for the 2


I bought 3 magazines for 20p each. A Delicious cookery magazine for myself, a golfing one for my dad and this month's Esquire for David (he snaffled it up quick so I was not able to take a photo of them all)

We lazed around the log cabin again in the afternoon and watched two DVDs which we had bought over the weekend. Both recent oldies but goodies - Signs staring Mel Gibson and one of the X Men series. David and I went out to a local Chinese restaurant early evening called Trungs. We have eaten there many times over the years and the food is just so delicious. We were lazy and could not be bothered picking out individual dishes from the menu so went for a set meal which was good value for money.

When we got back to the cabin I looked on my eBay account and had sold loads of items over the last couple of days which I posted out today. I sold 4 books, a pair of boots, a ceramic travel mug, a needlepoint cushion cover, a brand new mascara and a pair of gloves. These are all unwanted items from around the house that I have been listing over the last few weeks in an attempt to bring some order to our house. I am really delighted to be getting rid of the clutter and making some money too. I have found the secret to selling, which seems to work for me, has been to list items as "buy it now" rather than auction and include free postage. I'll let you know at the end of February how much is in the eBay account that I am keeping a record of alongside my grocery budget account.

I forgot to mention that we were up early on 15th February and at Tescos to see if they had any Valentine's Day bargains. I found a shelf with 50% - 70% off prices and bought two cute Little Miss mugs for £1.25 each (75% off £5 price) and two lovely embroidered cushions that were £1.50 each (75% off £6 price). The boxes of chocolates were 50% off but I did not buy any as we have some boxes of chocolates left over from Christmas that were bought for us as gifts. I saw some Tesco staff buying the bargains and within a few moments the shelf was empty so it pays to get there early and snap up the deals the day after the event.





We set off at 10am this morning for our return journey home and expected to be back by 11.15am at the latest. We had not counted on the queue of traffic waiting to get to the Trafford Centre. It is half term holidays and raining so there seemed to be a mass exodus to the shopping centre. The journey ended up taking a additional 20 minute. I worked from home this afternoon and am spending the evening washing clothes from the weekend away and unpacking bags and bags of bargains. I feel the need for a glass (or two) of wine to finally wind down.

Back to reality tomorrow and I'm anxious about getting on my weighing scales after the amount of food we have eaten this weekend.

No comments: