Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Weekend Away at Portmeirion

This weekend has been magical with our annual trip to Portmeirion in North Wales. We started this tradition a few years ago when we visited for my birthday and have been visiting once a year since then around my birthday time at the beginning of December. We decided to bring it forward by a month because we are going to New York for a week for my birthday as it will be my 50th this year.

We have always stayed at the hotel overlooking the estuary rather than in one of the village rooms or at Castell Dudraeth. For those who do not know about Portmeirion you can read all about it on their website here. I have been visiting since I was a little girl and always wanted to stay at the hotel as I thought it looked so inviting but I thought it was far too expensive. It wasn't until I looked into their Winter deals that I found it was possible to stay on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis for a really reasonable price. 

Our room was just lovely with a super king bed, slippers, dressing gowns, my favourite L'occitane toiletries and a small carafe of pre dinner sherry. They have free wifi, full selection of free view channels on the TV plus they have a The Prisoner channel playing episodes of The Prisoner most of the day. David loves this channel as he is a real fan of the series.






The restaurant has a fantastic set meal choice and their wine selection is really comprehensive. It is such a treat to sit down to a beautifully presented table with crisp white cloth and white candles flickering away. The food was a mixture of locally sourced game and seafood with desserts that sound and taste like they have been developed by Willy Wonka. The food is beautifully presented and looks too good to eat! One night I had a blueberry macaroon with praline pieces and chocolate and lavender ice cream to give you an idea of the menu.

They have log fires burning which are great to sit in front of to warm up after an afternoon strolling around the village or going for a walk around woods and gardens. They have some great shops to have a wander around and a selection of cafes too. We did very little on both days and pretty much lazed around with me nodding off Sunday afternoon for an hour after a busy day doing nothing. I think the large cooked breakfast had caught up with me.






We are already thinking about when to book for next year and instead of booking for 2 nights we think we will book for 3 and stay in a standard room rather than a superior room. The quality will still be the same with the same view over the estuary and towards the hills, but the room will be a little  smaller with a double bed. No hardship there so we should still be able to afford to go.

No comments: