Pages

Thursday 13 November 2014

Savings at Marks & Spencer

I had another long day in work yesterday and was at my desk before 8am after an hour's drive across Manchester City Centre. I finished work after 5.30pm and was passing Marks & Spencers at 6.30pm on the way home. At this time they are normally reducing items so thought it would be worth a quick 20 minutes to see what bargains were available.  

I bought two bunches of flowers for in the lounge and in our bedroom which were both half price. I love fresh flowers and really think they turn a house into a home. I really love the woman's touch that they give to a room so always buy flowers when they are reduced and use them in the bathroom, bedroom, lounge, dining room and kitchen, although not necessarily all at the same time. These lilies were £3.75 and I used some contorted twigs in the vase to give some height and a different texture.




There were a number of desserts reduced and now is the time to buy them and put them in the freezer for use at Christmas and New Year. I bought two Sticky Toffee Puddings at £1.15 each. These will make a change from Christmas Pudding as David does not like currants, sultanas or raisins but does not mind the dates in the sticky toffee pudding. I always serve Christmas Pudding on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and feel sorry that David misses out on a hot dessert so think this will make a great alternative for him.



I found a delicious looking Apricot Tart which should have been £5 and which I bagged for £1.50 plus a selection of mini macaroons for £1.80 reduced from £6. The macaroons were scoffed straight after our evening meal and we're just delicious. They were not overly sweet because they had sharp flavours such as lemon, raspberry and passion fruit. Simply delicious. Finally I found a tarte au citron which will freeze well (I've successfully frozen these before) and will be great as an option at New Year with a some raspberry ice cream. There is something divine about lemon and raspberry together and fresh raspberries would be great but not at their high cost in December so ice cream will do nicely thank you.



I bought some roasting vegetables, Italian potatoes and cheesy potatoes at £1 each. I know that you can buy these cheaper if bought separately or made or assembled at home but with the busy lives we lead sometimes you just want something easy to pop into the oven or heat up when you get home and this is the price you pay for convenience. We ended up eating at 9pm which isn't good as we went to bed at 11pm which I don't think gives us time to digest everything. I need to make a concerted effort to get home earlier and spend time on my home and looking myself more.

I had an email from the Money Savings Expert website with details of numerous current offers. There was a code for the Marks & Spencer Outlet website for an additional 25% off their reduced prices. I had been looking for some winter coats and managed to find 3 that I liked. Two had been reduced from £95 and £89 to £62.50 and with the extra 25% off they were £46.88 each. I also found a lightweight stormwear jacket reduced from £75 to £45 and with the 25% off it cost £33.75. I am a plus size and to be able to find three coats that I like, are available in my size and do not cost the earth was a miracle. I bought all three!! They cost over £100 but good value in that they nearly came out 3 for the price of 1. I can't wait for them to arrive in the post and try them on and work out which scarves from my collection will look good with them.





Marks and Spencer - a British institution that I just love.

No comments: