Pages

Friday 28 November 2014

Getting my Home ready for Christmas - Candles

I just adore Christmas and I will be writing quite a few posts about it over the next month.

I love all the preparations of writing Christmas cards, wrapping gifts and putting up the tree and decorations. I am doing this earlier this year because we are going to New York for 9 days next weekend and will not be back until 17th December so I have needed to get organised.

I get my home ready over a few days and leave the tree until last. White scented candles are lit in my lounge every evening and this year and I have bought some gorgeous candles in jars from Yankee Candles. I have gone for a slightly different scent than my usual Christmas spicy scents. I have bought Hot Cocoa scent for a change which still gives that comforting warm scent and it just makes you want to snuggle up in front of the fire.




I dressed my fire surround and have gone for simple this year with black, silver and gold. I bought the  two heavily gold embroidered Christmas stockings in the January sales from Marks & Spencer. They are black velvet with this exquisite embroidered design across the front. I think they should have cost £25 each but I paid around half this. They will be used for years to come and I will not fill them with gifts as they are just a decoration. I have two black etched glass hurricane lamps on my mantelpiece and light scented tea lights in these most evenings. At the moment my two favourite scents are Salted Caramel and Vanilla Chai. You can still buy the Vanilla Chai ones here. Both of these are Yankee Candle and I bought several boxes of each from a Hallmark shop that was closing down in an outlet village. They were 70% or 75% off and cost about £1.75 a box instead of the usual £6.50. When I see bargains like this i always buy as much as I can rather than 1 or 2 as they will always be used. Bulk buying is often the key to making bulk savings.






Not everyone is a fan of scented candles so I sometimes use unscented ones in my lounge. I have a wide selection of shapes, sizes and colours depending on my mood. I have some lovely round ones that have a rough texture to make them look like snowballs. However I have decided to use these Ice Crystal Candles that I bought from Lakeland. They are £7.99 but I bought three at the tail end of their sales a couple of years ago and paid a fraction of this price. I think I paid about £2.50 or £3 each. They look so beautiful lit in the evenings with it dark outside and flickering through their intricate lace design.


Tell me about the candles you love.

No comments: