Pages

Sunday 23 November 2014

Re-gifting at Christmas

There can be so much money spent at Christmas that people get themselves seriously in debt. I have done this myself in the past by putting myself under so much pressure for everything to be perfect that I have been silly spending far too much on things that family are not that bothered about. The shops are full of festive tat and we get sucked into the frenzy of buying that we end up buying expensive food, drink, presents and stocking fillers. I have been bought things myself that I do not need but I can see someone has been caught up in the moment and bought it for me, handing over hard earned cash for over priced gifts.

My sister and I had a discussion about this situation a couple of years ago and agreed that we would not be offended to be given re-gifted presents or items bought from car boot sales or charity shops. We have found that many of these items are new, sealed and the very gifts that I have just mentioned above. When I was at Portmeirion two weeks ago I visited one of the gift shops they have on site. It sells the most gorgeous presents that are just so covetable that I find myself wanting everything until I look at the prices. There was a box of bath bombs from Bomb Cosmetics for £11.99 which were just lovely and just right for me only I already had the very same gift pack bought at the Cheshire car boot sale for 50p.


I cleared out some of my DVDs this week as they were starting to take over too much space in the dining room. I will sell some online but I found three live comedy DVDs which I have watched a few times and no longer want to keep. I have decided to pass them on to my nephew as part of his Christmas present. Not one of us in our family will be bothered that they have already been watched and I know he will enjoy watching them a few times before passing on to his friends. Now if I had bought them new we are probably looking at £12 but they cost me £2 for the three. This £10 saving can be multiplied on most of my gifts which means family members receive £100s of gifts but which have cost me a fraction of the price. We feel that we have luxurious Christmases but we know we have got real value for money and they have not cost luxury prices.

I have spent yesterday afternoon and this afternoon wrapping presents while watching Christmas films on TV. I know this seems early to be wrapping gifts but I am having to get myself organised as we go to New York for 9 days in two weeks time. This will mean that we will have just a week on our return before it is Christmas and I hate having to rush any preparations. I have loved wrapping the gifts and putting them in festive bags. My nephew and niece are 18 and 16 years old but I still but Disney wrapping paper and kids lollies to attach to the front of the gifts.




I found two reels of the most adorable ribbon in my wrapping paper collection. I bought these at a car boot sale in the Lake District a year ago and am still using them this year. I think the wooden bobbins are lovely with their heart shaped tops so I will keep these once I have finished all the ribbon.



How do you save money at Christmas? I would love to know.

No comments: