Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2014

This Week's Food Shop

I have not needed to do a full food shop this week as we went out for our evening meal last night at Pizza Express and David is away with some of his friends for a long weekend so I have not needed to buy much just for me.

Our meal at Pizza Express was excellent as usual at their restaurant in nearby Hale village. I had the last of my Tesco Clubcard vouchers to use there so £20 was knocked of the bill. I love using my Clubcard vouchers and have written about them in a previous posting Here. I always have a number of them stored in an email on my iPhone and I just take this with me and show the waiter the email on my phone and they knock off the money using the code. A happy addition was that we were given two vouchers for BOGOF main meals when we visit again in January 2015. These are probably worth about £11 - £15 each. We went to Pizza Express last week too and got two of these vouchers so we had 4 of them so I gave one to Emma who I work with for her and her partner to use. She was delighted and we often swop or give each other free offers for meals or night out.



So after deciding I needed only a few things in my food shop I called into Marks & Spencer on the way home and it was just before 6pm when I arrived there. They had already done their second round of price reductions so I managed to pick up more than I had planned because I couldn't resist some of the reduced bargains.

Here are some of my bargains....



I found two lots of large sandwiches for David to take away with him on his break. They are chicken and smoked bacon reduced from over £3 to £1.05. I do not think I can make them for this price if I think about the price of sliced cooked chicken which is in thick slices and smoked cooked bacon. I also bought 4 Yorkshire puddings at 30p which I will warm up to have with a roast dinner on Sunday  evening. I know that they are best before the end of today but they will last a good few days yet with no taste or health problems from my experience. I also found two lots of sweet chilli crispy beef in their Chinese range for £1.20 each. These have gone straight into the freezer and I will use these when I have found other reduced Chinese food and we have enough for a full evening meal with a variety of main courses and starters. There was also a pack of ready prepared vegetables for 50p and some garlic & herb ciabatta dough balls for 60p. The veg will be fine for the roast on Sunday and the ciabatta have gone into the freezer for using with an Italian pasta dish for a midweek meal.

I found some Mediterranean roasting vegetables half price from £2 to £1. These will be used as a pack each next Monday evening to accompany a chicken leg each from the left over Sunday roast. The honey and mustard roast parsnips will used as part of the Sunday roast dinner.


I found two Taste Thai Chargrilled Chicken Pad Thai ready meals reduced from £4 to £1.20 each which I will have for my Thursday and Friday evening meals. There were also two Gastropub meals reduced from £4 to £1.20 each which were Macaroni cheese and beef ragu. These went straight into the freezer for use as a mid week meal maybe with the ciabatta mentioned above. Lazy I know but when I have had a long day at work and the usual nightmare journey home (I work 11 miles away and it can take 1.5 hours because it is across Manchester City Centre) then I want something tasty, easy to do and cheap!!.


Finally I found some lovely Aberdeen Angus stewing steak for £1.90 which is in the freezer already. Some brown chestnut mushrooms were 60p and will do as part of a scrummy cooked breakfast or as part of a casserole and I found an 18 piece Indian snack collection for £1.20 . This has also gone into the freezer and will be used when we have an Indian meal night courtesy of reduced curries in the freezer.


I have heard people say that they love M&S food but will not shop there that often because it is too expensive but with the prices I have paid I think it is cheap shopping there. What do you think ?

No comments: