Pages

Monday 6 April 2015

Today's Carboot Sale

The weather was chilly and foggy again today but not raining so we went to the Cheshire carboot sale again. It is always only about a third of the size at this time of year so we are usually finished within two hours maximum. At the height of the summer we can be there for five hours believes it or not. We see this as exercise as walking a couple of miles around a field must be good exercise for us and cheaper than a gym membership. 

Today a bought quite a few magazines as they were 10p and 20p each and were dated from April 2015 backwards to January 2014. I bought Country Living, Country Homes, House Beautiful, Style at Home, OK and Hello (known as Ay Up in our house - a nod to our Lancashire ancestors). I bought 20 in total which cost me £3 which is less than the full price of one of the magazines.  I found a number of DVDs again and bought 6 from one couple as they were 3 for £1.




I bought a net bag of  6 Boots No7 nail varnishes for £1. These were all new and 4ml size each. The standard size is 10ml and these cost £6 each from Boots so I thought this was a bargain price. There are some lovely colours with one metallic fustian colour. I will put these away for my niece as a stocking filler gift for either her birthday or Christmas.



I also found a lovely gift box which contained 10 sample and travel size toiletries for a young man. This was an unwanted gift and was wrapped in ribbon and tissue and at £2.50 is a good price. It contains Yves Saint Laurant Homme after shave balm, Murad face mask, 4711 cologne, Crabtree & Evelyn shampoo aswell as facial cleanser, moisturiser, calming aftershave balm etc.

I always have a Swiss Army style key ring on my everyday bunch of keys. This has come in handy so many times for all kinds of occasions because it has scissors, tweeters, a knife, emery board and screw driver on it. The one I have has seen better days as I have had it for too many years than I can remember. Today I found a Wenger one which is the same but better in that it has a set of nail clippers in it. This came complete with box and was just £3. These are currently £21.49 on Amazon.



I bought a travel hold-all that had come from Marks & Spencer and is a similar design to this one here. This had the keys and padlock with it and is a decent size for a weekend away. This was £3 and I think looks very classic.

I bought two large striped cushion covers from the same couple that I bought the travel bag from . These are a really happy stipe design and originally come from IKEA so not bad for £1 each. I also got the hardback book of Jamie's 30  minute meals for £1.

Well that was my haul for today. It sometimes suprises me how much some people want for their items. One man wanted £10 for a box of Yankee Candle tealights and a tube of Soap & Glory hand cream. This was only £2 cheaper than buying them new in the shops. I just politely say no thank you and walk on when this is the case but I would suspect he would be taking most of stuff home with him at the prices he was asking. When I have had a carboot stall I realised that you have to sell items cheap to let them go to somewhere else where they will be used.

David bought CDs, DVDs, some technical bits be pieces for wiring up some speakers for the ones we have in our lounge, a guitar strap and some shelving. The shelving was his bargain of the day at £1. The most he spent on one item was £2.50 for an LP.  He got a great DKNY t shirt for £1.50. He is delighted with his bargains.


No comments: