Pages

Sunday 5 April 2015

Frugal Easter Weekend

Our weekend started on Thursday evening with David going out for a meal with work colleagues and needing a lift to the restaurant. After I had dropped him off I called in at the small Marks & Spencer store that was just a two minute drive away. It was 6.30pm so I knew they would be at the stage of reducing items for the second time and that they would be fairly cheap. It is also the time that they clear the freshly baked bread, cakes and patisserie section. 

Sure enough I managed to stock up on almond croissants, pecan Danish pastry and raspberry & lemon Danish pastries at 20p each. I also found individual pear tarts and bakewell tarts for the same price. I bought a large white bloomer loaf for 60p and two family sized cakes, a lemon drizzle cake for 70p and a banoffee cake for 90p.





There were three packs of posh hot dogs containing 6 large sausages reduced to £2.25 a pack. These were great for brunch with eggs one day and on finger rolls on another. There is something so naughty but nice about a sausage smothered in ketchup and American mustard.

I had a lovely suprise in the post which was a bottle of L'oreal Glam Bronze Eau de Soliel which was a free gift from the L'Oreal beauty team. You can buy the Glam Bronze powder for around £10.49 so I guess this is probably worth the same. This is a liquid bronzer which the letter said should be applied beneath the cheekbones and around the face for contouring. You can use it with or without foundation. I have my holiday to Tenerife in a week so on my return I will be using this to try to keen my tan lasting as long as possible.



We went to the Cheshire carboot this morning and it was fairly busy considering the weather was not brilliant. It was foggy with a damp mist hanging in the air. It has been raining for most of last week so the field it was being held in was very very muddy. We needed hosing down when we got home and our boots are still drying off outside. It was very much worth it though because we got an amazing haul of goodies for not much money. I spent just over £15 in total and David spent around the same. I bought 5 Jamie Oliver magazines for £2. These usually cost £3.99 each and two were from this year- January & February with the others from 2014.



I bought 9 toiletry items for £3 as they were 3 for £1 from one really lovely young girl. All are new and not been opened. So I got 4 items from the Soap & Glory range. These are all the travel sizes and cost £2.50 each from shops like Boots. I got shower gel, body scrub and two lots of body butter. I found two 100ml bottles of Trevor Sorbie straight shampoo and conditioner. These usually sell for £5.50 for a 250ml bottle so not bad for 66p for the two. I then bought a set of three Mark Hill Straight shampoo, conditioner and hairspray. These are travel sizes and are 75ml size. The full size 250ml bottles sell for £5.49 each so again £1 was a good price to pay. I now have enough for my holiday toiletry travel bag for the next couple of holidays. I also found a bottle of L'Occitane liquid soap for 50p and these cost £15 when bought from the L'Occitane shop.




I bought 5 DVDs at £1 each and the box set of The Tudors for £2. I have already got series 1 and 2 and just loved it so when I found this boxed set of series 1, 2 and 3, I could not resist for £2. I will sell the two sets I already have so I do not clutter up the house.  The other DVDs include The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games - Catching Fire. I've watched the first one on the TV and really enjoyed it so will look forward to watching it again with the sequel.



I found a men's Soap and Glory toiletry bag for 50p. This is just so great as it is a handy size for taking on holiday, is completely new and has a great lining. I thought I would give this to my 17 year old nephew but as soon as we got home and David saw it, it was whisked away.




I was after a new pewter bag for taken on holiday and one family were selling loads of shoes, bags and clothes. This cost me £2 complete with purse. I had seen these for sale as part of a gift set in Boots at around £15 last year. I'm happy with £2 as it has never been used and the lining was immaculate. It has a pale cream butterfly design on both sides on the bottom right hand corner.




Finally the first item I bought was a stoneware pot for cooking a Camembert inside. This turns the cheese into a warm fondue style dip. This was new inside it's box and cost £3. It comes with a recipe card with what the place in the pot with the cheese to change the cheesy dip into different tastes. I think I will give the pesto and pine nut recipe a go.



Well the car boot sale is on again tomorrow as it is a bank holiday and we'll be going again to see what bargains can be found. Oh! I nearly forgot to tell you what David spent all his money on. Well he bought LPs at £1 each, CDs at 50p each and a Crew Clothing sweatshirt for £1 and these usually sell for £55 upwards.






No comments: