Pages

Saturday 4 April 2015

Jumble Sale Bargains

I love jumble sales, always have and always will.......

I love where they are held which is usually a 1930s or 1940s community or parish hall with wooden floors and that unique smell of polish and dust.  I love the people who are selling the items at the jumble sales. Brown Owls from the brownies who have fantastic organisational skills and are always so pleasant and friendly when you ask them how much they want for the treasure I have just found.  Most of all I love the serendipity of what I will find at a knockdown price.

I went to the local Scouts jumble sale the other Saturday afternoon and came back with a small haul of treasure. A cute grey felt mini hot water bottle cover with appliqué bird house for 10p. It is just the right size for a mini hot water bottle that we have. Nothing beats a toasty hot water bottle on a chilly night when tucked up in bed.



I love the author M C Beaton and found two hardback novels that I have not read for just 20p each. Both will go in my suitcase for my up and coming holiday to Tenerife. I found a couple of DVDs and CDs for 20p each too. My biggest cost on the day was 50p for an instamatic Polaroid camera. The films for these cameras are extremely expensive so we do not plan to use it but I just loved the look of it and it reminded me of my childhood so it is now an ornament in the spare bedroom.




The next day we went to a sale at the local grammar school. I found more DVDs at between 20p and £1 each but found the most gorgeous Hello Kitty/Liberty toiletry gift set for £1. It is new, unopened and had the original price ticket attached of £18. I also found a new tube of hand cream for £1. I always keep a tube of hand cream in the car so that when I am sitting in traffic I can put some on. I must spend a lot of time stuck in traffic because I go through quite a few tubes each year.





The last couple of weeks have seen me still clearing out items for the charity bags I get posted through our door. So although I buy items from sales I do give items away that are no longer needed otherwise our home would become very cluttered.

The items are as follows:

  • Two padded coat hangers
  • Handbag hanger for on the edge of a table so that your bag is not on the floor  - just not me!
  • Heart shaped bath bomb - just not me!
  • Toiletry bag




  • Straw sun hat - given to me by my dad but too small for everyone in our family
  • Cadbury's hot chocolate tin
  • Small ramekin with lid
  • Catnip toy for a cat - our cat is far too ladylike to get involved with catnip
  • Toiletry bag








No comments: