Pages

Sunday 6 August 2017

Rather Slim Pickings

Apologies - I should have posted this last week but completely forgot to do it!! The upside is that my lucky readers get double bubble today. This week's post follows shortly after this one.

The Cheshire carboot sale is going downhill fast. It is around a fifth of the size that it used to be and today most of the stalls were selling items that I would have taken to the tip. It is such a shame for everyone all round. There is nowhere near the amount of buyers which must be disheartening for the sellers who must be going elsewhere but we do not know where they are going instead. Many of the traders who were there every week have disappeared too. Consequently we are buying less and less each week. I still managed to find a few items and here they are:

A massive 8 arm chandelier/light fitting which is very heavy. It is made a company called Searchlight which we have bought from before and we rate the company for good quality lighting. This cost just £5 and will be going in our hall. We already have a fitting there which we put up about ten years ago but we prefer this one for more of a statement. 

I bought a Yankee Candle glass mosaic shade and tray for a large (or medium) jar candle. This cost me £3 and they range in price between £23.99 - £29.99 when new. It is almost clear glass but has a slight Aqua colour to it. I also bought a Yankee Candle wax melt burner for a £1. I have a plain one of these already but I liked the mouldings of vines on the sides of this one. This is currently selling for £8.99 on the Yankee Candle website.




I bought a lovely as new black padded coat with a hood for my sister for just £1. I am sure she will be delighted with this for casual wearing.

I love Bomb Cosmetics - particularly their bath bombs, bath fizzers and candles. I bought three of these boxes of fortune fizzers which were just a £1 a box. I can't find these on line but reckon they would have cost around £8 - £10 new. I bought one for myself and two as Christmas stocking fillers.




I bought a box of Joules egg shaped soaps for just 40p. There should be 6 in the box but given that usually sell for around £8 when new I was not going to quibble at 40p.



Finally I bought my usual collection of magazines - all June 2017 editions for 50p each, and a selection of DVDs for between 20p and 50p each. I have done so well clearing out my DVDs over the last two weeks and am still adding to a crate of them ready to sell.


I have also started having a major clutter clear out at home. Over a period of a week and finally finishing last weekend, I managed to clear out all my freezers. One is completely empty now whereas the others are not rammed full but neatly stacked. I know what is in all of them now and have been planning meals based on what is in them. I had to throw some food away but luckily not too much and it was mainly reduced price fish that was showing signs of freezer burn. I cooked some for the cat who showed little interest in it and as a last resort it had to be thrown away.

The kitchen has had a clear out too - everything from plastic storage containers to a Christmas cake dated 2013 that I found right at the back of the pantry. It had come in a fancy reusable storage tin that I thought was empty. It was only when clearing it out I found it had a whole cake in it. Such a shame  to throw it away but nearly four year old cake is not for me!

My next purge is cookery books but I have to read them first and check that I really don't find any of the recipes useful before they go.

No comments: