Pages

Sunday 27 August 2017

Today's Finds

What a lovely August bank holiday weekend we are having weather wise. The sun shone nearly all day yesterday and we spent most of the day in the garden. I filled two green bins with garden waste after the lawns were mowed, the front garden weeded and some of the shrubs pruned. I wanted to do more but as the bins were full I usually use that as a sign to stop otherwise I wear myself out. I often do too much and David has to stop me. My cat PG enjoyed sunbathing on our garden patio table all day. 


The good weather meant the Cheshire carboot sale was rammed today. We walked around for 3.5 hours and then decided that we had had enough. My feet were starting to ache from walking. We have  come home with a host of bargain finds.

I was running out of magazines and had looked last week for some but to no avail. Today I struck gold and bought three bundles of magazines for £9. There are 35 in total and are all last year and this year's (with the odd 2015 in there). There are 18 Harper's Bazaar, 12 Vogue and 5 Elle. Now David said £9 was too expensive (3 bundles at £3 a bundle) but given that 2 magazines would normally cost £9, I think £9 for 35 is an excellent price and I just love a big thick glossy magazine to flick through. They work out to be just under 26p a copy so I am happy with the price. She had 3 more bundles but I just chose the titles I wanted and I think 35 is enough.


I bought two boxes of Yankee Candle tealights for £3 a box (less than half price) from an on off trader who visits only when the sun is shining. He sells all the things you would normally find in a Hallmark store. Lots of candles, cards and some soft toys. The scents I bought are fresh smelling Clean Cotton and Midnight Jasmine.


I found a soft as butter 100% cashmere scarf in a candy stripe for just £1. It is a longer length so I can wear it doubled up. It is from Scotland and the make is Brora. These are up for sale at £50 upwards on eBay but this is a keeper and I'll be wearing it this winter with a plain coloured coat.



I bought a number of 50p items from one lady. A Boots No7 swirl blusher/bronzer, a dark chocolate eyeshadow, a Soap & Glory hair band (great for keeping my hair off my face when I have a wash) and a Champneys hand cream. All new and unused.




I also bought this Champneys Citrus Blush mini duo of shower gel and body lotion for 50p. I have had one of these before and they are great for a holiday or weekend away. I love the fresh lemon scent which is just perfect for a sunny holiday evening freshen up.


I bought four of these Elemis Pure Zest cleansing soaps at 50p each. They have a fresh citrus smell. I'll keep a couple myself and use the others as little stocking fillers. These would normally cost considerably more given that Elemis is an expensive brand.



My bed needed another black cushion to match the one I bought a couple of weeks ago. It was looking a little lost and lonely on its own so I was pleased to find two Laura Ashley cushions of the same size and similar design for just £1 each. Now these are clearly not black but I love the soft grey colour and they are like new. Laura Ashley cushions are ridiculously expensive on their website (even in the sale) so these are a perfect snip at £2. I like the beading on the sides of them.




On the home front I bought another le Crueset storage jar for £2. This is in a lovely mauve colour (not sure of the proper name for the colour). I have one of these already in blue to match my set of le Creuset pans which I have had for over 20 years. I would have preferred another blue one to match but I like this mauve colour and as they usually cost £28 to buy new I was not going to walk away from one at £2.



I have a little shopping list of DVDs that I am after and I managed to tick one off my list today. I've watched the boxed set of Breaking Bad series 1 - 3 and was after the set of 4 - 6 which I managed to find today for £4. I also bought my usual selection of other DVDs for between 20p and 50p.



I bought David a great Adidas bucket hat in blue for £1. Great for on holidays and he looks a little "Madchester" wearing it. I also bought him a new Next collared t shirt in a purple pattern for £1. He's wearing this already so no photos I'm afraid.

Well tomorrow is a bonus booting day so  I'll let you know what bargains I find tomorrow.

No comments: