Pages

Saturday 10 December 2016

Sightseeing Day

We decided to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island yesterday. I've been to New York before but we didn't visit there although we sailed past on the Staten Island Ferry. David has been before but around 30 years ago when he was in his early 20s. 

We started the day off with a diner breakfast of Eggs Benedict at the Brooklyn Diner and then caught the subway down to South Ferry. We bought a weeks subway ticket for $31 which is around £20. A real bargain for a weeks worth of travelling as we use the subway a lot. We walked through Battery Park and bought tickets for the tour. I think it was very reasonable at $18 (£13) and we then queued up for the airport style security before getting on the ferry boat.



It was bitterly cold but if you're all wrapped up then it is not a problem. We always go for lots of layers and scarves, hats and gloves. It was a sunny and crisp day so I reckon we picked a good day to go. We had a free audio handset each to listen to as we walked around the Statue of Liberty. I found it strangely moving given that I am not an American but I felt it stands for the freedom I have coming from the UK.






After loads and loads of photographs we caught the Ferry over to Ellis Island to visit the museum there. There was another opportunity for an audio tour there too but we did not bother and opted to watch a 30 minute film about the immigration into the USA instead. I found this even more moving than the Statue of Liberty, listening to the stories of those who travelled steerage on boats for weeks from Europe to the land of their dreams.  We walked around the main hall of the building and then it was time to head back.





After a pitstop at the hotel late afternoon, we were out again to Greenwich Village for the best Chinese meal I have eaten in a long time. We washed it down with Coney Island beers.


Today it is going to be a coffee and bagel breakfast and day shopping with my first stop being Tiffanys. David bought me a gorgeous bracelet their two years ago for my birthday so I fancy something to match it this time for my birthday.

No comments: