Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2016

Christmas Day

As usual I woke early at just before 6am. I can't under estimate how lovely it is to have my cat greet me every morning. Who would not want such a friendly welcome when you first open your eyes in the morning.

We opened the small number of gifts that we had bought for each other. How fortunate are we to not need anything. How many people in this world can say this? I count my blessings. I bought David a cashmere jumper in the most beautiful colour of bluey purple. I also bought him some blue canvas deck shoes and two different boxes of chocolates from Hotel Chocolate. We used to love Thorntons Continental chocolates but over the years they have become cheap tasting and not as rich as they used to be. I've moved onto Hotel Chocolate chocolates instead which taste like Thorntons used to taste. 

David bought me some French perfume by the designer Lolita Lempicka. It is called LL'aime. I bought some perfume by Lolita from my favourite carboot seller at the Cheshire carboot sale late last year and loved it. He remembered this and bought this for me. He also bought me some Veuve Clicquot champagne and a huge box of Green & Blacks organic chocolates. Reading our list of gifts has just made me smile as it sounds like a cliche of middle class gifts. We are far from middle class and could not be more working class if we tried.


We started on the Buck's Fizz just after 7am and by 9am I was feeling a little light headed and decided to give the alcohol a miss until late lunchtime when my dad was due to arrive. Believe it or not I tackled a huge pile of ironing from three washing loads. It was sitting on the arm of one of the settees and I needed to get rid of it before everyone was due to arrive on Boxing Day.

We had a delicious turkey crown from M&S for lunch. It should have cost £30.14 but I paid £10 when it was reduced at Easter. It has been in my freezer since then. It was delicious. We ate it with roast potatoes, roast sweet potatoes, carrots, brussels sprouts (I did not eat these as they are evil) served with chestnuts, roast parsnips, red cabbage with apple, cauliflower cheese, pigs in blankets that I made myself using Cumberland sausages, and two types of stuffing.



We had already eaten canapés which were smoked salmon blinis and some ready bought party canapés from Waitrose- breaded cheese bites (Camembert & soft cheese), mini roast dinner Yorkshire puds, mini quiches etc. We also had appertisers. My dad chose homemade pea & mint soup that I made on Friday whereas David and I went for a M&S crab & prawn terrine with prawns, salad leaves and some seafood dressing.

I had a choice of Christmas pudding, mince pies, Christmas cake, fruit cake, chocolate log for dessert with a choice of Baileys or brandy cream or three different types of Haagen Daz icecream for dessert. David didn't want anything and myself and dad plumped for warm mince pies with dulce de leche icecream.

Coffees with chocolate mints followed and then we were ready for nodding off for the rest of the afternoon. I didn't eat another thing for the rest of the day but David managed his signature Christmas Day sandwich of turkey, stuffing and sliced sweet pickled onions. I just had a glass of alcoholic egg nog over ice. I always buy my bags of ice as at just £1 I can't be bothered faffing with making my own. I bought a bag of ice cubes and a bag of crushed ice.


Well the whole day was repeated on Boxing Day with all the family round.

No comments: