Pages

Friday 16 December 2016

Last few days of NY holiday

We return home tonight after 10 nights in the Big Apple. We've had a brilliant if tiring time and although sad to leave I will be glad to get home. For the last few days I have had a really nasty cough and suspect I have a chest infection so a return home will be welcomed.

So what have we been up to over the last few days? We visited the Guggenheim museum although we did not go into the exhibition area. I wanted to see the beautiful building rather than the exhibits and didn't want to pay the £20+ cost for each of to enter. It was a beautiful day when we visited with blue sky's and the warmth of some sunshine.






Earlier in the day we had returned for breakfast at the Brooklyn Diner and I had the most delicious breakfast called a Tony Bennett. It was cinnamon and raisin french toast with pecans, fresh strawberries and maple syrup. This was so indulgent it felt more like eating a dessert than a breakfast. 


Yesterday the temperature dropped dramatically and it fell to below freezing with a light snow shower mid morning. This was quite pretty as we were at the Rockefeller ice rink at the time and it was lovely to see the snowflakes falling down onto the skaters. 



We headed to ground zero at lunch time and I find the place so moving that I got a lump in my throat. Roses are placed in the names of those who died when it is their birthday and a solitary white rose was placed in the name of one lady. I became a little choked when we visited a couple of years ago too. 


Late afternoon saw us return to the Rockefeller to visit Top of the Rock. We had chosen late afternoon to visit to see the view from the top of the building in the day light, at sunset and when it was dark.  We were there for 2 hours and grateful for the heated section inside the building to warm up cold fingers from taking photos outside where it was decidedly chilly.









We finished the day with some beers in an Irish Bar and then Japanese food in Hells Kitchen. The food was outstanding and we started with the most delightful steamed pork and chicken buns followed by bowls of savoury ramen. 






Well it will be back to the UK and a very busy week on the run up to Christmas. As usual I have a house full with eight for dinner and 5 relatives staying over through Christmas and the New Year. I'm already exhausted thinking about it. I just hope I can shift this cough in time.

No comments: