Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Weekend in North Wales - Bargains

This weekend was the bank holiday weekend and our first of the weekends away this year that I had booked with The Sun or Daily Mail newspaper holiday offers. My sister has also booked some for later in the year and we are due to go away next weekend too.




We prayed for good weather but sure enough we woke on Saturday morning to a cold and wet rainy day. Luckily the caravan that we had booked was large and spacious with central heating and the radiators were super efficient so very warm. We had a leisurely breakfast and set out to the nearby market which has a mixture of new items for sale and a few carboot stalls. I immediately saw this American Tourister suitcase which was in excellent condition for £5. It had some tape stuck on it for ID purposes so the owner could easily find it. This had to come off and the sticky residue left on it also needs a little elbow grease but overall a great buy for either using for my holidays or for storage in our loft.  I also found a Samsonite suitcase for £2.50 which was immaculate on the inside but in need of a little TLC on the outside. This came from a great little independent animal charity shop in Prestatyn. I find a little white spirit followed by furniture polish and they come up a treat. These photos are the "before" pictures.






I found this cute spacious bag that is a George one from Asda at a charity shop for just £2. It has never been used so in immaculate condition and the bright colours and pattern will be great for the summer months to come. At this price I can use it until it is looking a little sad and then throw it away.




I found two bottles of leave-in hair conditioner from Avon for £1 each which is around half price. Not a huge saving but I think Avon have stopped selling this and it has been a favourite of mine. This is because my hair can be quite fluffy and fly-away and by using this leave-in conditioner it gives some weight to my hair and more shine.



I also bought 3 Maybelline lipsticks for £5. These are 10 hour lip stains which are really long lasting- well supposedly 10 hours! I bought two red and one pink colour. They had a dark purple colour as well but if I wear dark lipsticks they make my lips look really thin. I will be using these to wear at work as my usual lipsticks only last until my first coffee.



I bought a few DVDs with 3 coming from one couple who were selling them at 3 for £1. The other two that I bought were from one man who was selling them at 50p each. I got two boxed sets of the Michael Palin travel series. I bought Around the World in 80 days which was his first series and Sahara which he filmed towards the end of his travel series. I just adore travel and watching travel programmes so I was delighted to find these at just 50p each.



I also bought 21 magazines from the animal charity shop in Prestatyn because they were just 10p each. Some are from this year, some from 2014 and some go back as far as 2008 but for £2.10 in total which is about half the price of one new magazine I am happy to have a flick through them no matter how old they are. I pass them on to my Dad afterwards and once he has finished he gives them to an elderly lady neighbour. We certainly get our money's worth.




I wanted a few toiletries and I like Wilkinson's cotton pads for toner and make-up removal. They are only 50p a pack so I called into Wilkies to get some and ended up buying quite a lot of their food & drink items as they were on offer as reduced to clear. I found Nairn oatcakes at 50p a pack and other items such as Nutella spread at 99p, savoury rice and pasta at 27p, and 6 packs of Seabrook crisps for 50p. I had a huge basket full as did my sister as both of us think that when you see a bargain you have to buy as much as possible and store in your pantry or freezer.

I bought two cases of the small mixers,  tonic & dry ginger at 19p a tin. These should have been 36p each which is far too much for a small tin of drink but 19p is okay. I used to buy large bottles of mixers but we are not big spirit drinkers so once we had both had a gin & tonic then most of the bottle would be left and go flat so it was a real false economy. Buying the tins is better value in the long run for me. 

No comments: