Pages

Sunday 17 May 2015

Car Boot Bargains

We were up at 6am today and out of the house at 7am heading towards the Cheshire car boot sale. No car boot sale in the country that we have visited compares to the Cheshire car boot for bargains. I am sure there must be some others that are just as good if not better but we have not found one yet. 

I like Orla Kiely designs and was delighted to find this duvet cover and two pillowcases in a subtle grey and white stem design. We have grey and white as our colour scheme in our bedroom so this matches perfectly. When new this would cost over £100 so second hand I would expect to pay a lot less so was really pleased when the lady selling the set asked for just £2. It was freshly laundered but I'll give it a freshen up with a further wash to make it mine so to speak.



My regular readers will know that I am buying Soap & Glory products to fill a toiletry bag for my sister for her Christmas present. I bought two minis which sell for £2.50 each and paid 50p for the Flake Away body scrub and 20p for the Righteous Butter. 70p instead of £5 sounds good to me.



I bought two packs of Yankee Candle car air fresheners for 50p a pack in Sun and Sand. They fit inside the car air vents and come in packs of 4. These normally sell for £3.99 a pack so again £1 instead of £7.98 makes these a bargain.



I bought a few girly bits and pieces such as this cute Patisserie candle gift set which had come from Laura Ashley. There are four gorgeous little cake sized candles in the pack and these will look heavenly lit after dinner one evening at the dining table while we linger over coffee. I was astounded to see a £16 price ticket on the bottom of the pack as I paid only £1. The lady selling them thought they were soap and was surprised when I told her they were candles.




My other girly purchase was this lovely Royal Worcester fine bone china mug complete with box. This cost just 50p and this style, though not this design normally sells for £10.50 each. I think I will use this mug at work or I may gift it to my niece at Christmas.





I bought two Marks & Spencer Autograph items. This pair of darling gold loafer shoes in soft leather for just £1. These have probably been worn once or twice but look unused. I like metallic shoes in pewter, dark silver, bronze and gold because they go with anything.




My other item was this unused black and leopard print leather handbag. It has great detailing on the shoulder strap which is fairly long so could also be worn across the body. This style came out about two years ago and I really wanted a bag with the leopard print at the time but was too mean to spend £50 or so on one. This one cost me just £4.





I bought another Hairy Bikers cook book for £1.50. This is a hard backed book and looks like it has never been used (my cook books usually have something splashed on at least one of the pages on the inside). It is the Mums Know Best edition and there are a couple of recipes that I think I will have to test out in the next week or so.





As you all know I am a DVD fanatic and cannot resist anything that is 50p or less, so today I bought 8 DVDs all for 50p each. There is a real mixture of cartoon films to horror. I love just about every film genre apart from Westerns which somehow don't appeal at all. My favourite films are Ealing Comedies which I just adore. I could watch them over and over again and I have nearly all of them on DVD. I think my favourite is the classic Kind Hearts and Coronets - magical.



One lady was mad to sell me this original glass vintage Kenwood Chef blender for just 50p. I have a 1960s Kenwood Chef that I paid just £15 for at a carboot sale in Hale Barns. This came with the glass blender as well as a mincing machine. As I already have the glass blender I don't really need another one but who can resist a replacement one for just 50p. These are currently selling for around £30 on eBay.



I could not resist this Panasonic vacuum cleaner which is in perfect condition and has some real power behind it. This was just £5 and means I can take my old one to the tip. My old one is on it's last legs and has to be cajoled into working properly so I will enjoy giving it a decent funeral at the nearby tip.



Finally I bought 10 packs of bedding plants for some summer colour. I bought 4 packs of geraniums, 3 packs to petunias and 3 packs of elysium. These were for the bargain price of £1 a pack. Why would you go to a garden centre when you can pay these kind of prices? There were 4 plant stalls on today and I left it until towards the end to buy as the prices start to drop. People want to sell them and not take them back home so I was pleased with the price. I now have so gardening to do!

Tell me about the best car boot sale that you have visited and what you bought.

No comments: