Pages

Sunday 14 September 2014

Weekend Away Bargains

My sister and I organise about 10 weekends away throughout the year which are usually in the Spring and Autumn. We organise these weekends away with The Sun or The Daily Mail newspapers when they have the holidays for £9.50 per person offers available. I am sure you will have seen the adverts on the TV over the years. We have been going on these weekends away for over 10 years now and I think they are really good value for money.

We have found out which caravan parks to go to at what time of year and also which ones to avoid!!. This weekend we visited Fleetwood so that we could see Blackpool illuminations. We have been visiting the same site for about 4 years now and we only visit once a year at this time of year. We also know which shops to visit and where the car boot sales are.

Today we visited two car boot sales which were both a couple of miles away from the caravan site where we were staying. I find it interesting that the things on sale at car boot sales are so very different depending on where they are in the country. The two sales we visited today were mainly stalls owned by older people which meant that the items being sold were a little old fashioned and not my taste. I found a few items from just a couple of stalls which were owned by some younger people and younger families so was sill happy to have bought some bargains.

I love medium sized shower gels and body lotions for taking on holiday with me as I find they just last the standard fortnight holiday. Last week I bought Marc Jacobs Dot sets and this week I managed to find two sets of Marc Jacobs Daisy shower gel and body lotion. The tubes are 75ml each and I paid  £3 for the 4 tubes. The body lotion is on sale at £25 for 150ml and the shower gel is normally £22 for 150ml so I have the same amount but in four tubes rather than 2. I have saved £44 on the new price. Of course I checked that the tubes were new and smelled 'fresh' before I bought them.



From the same family I bought two brand new DreamWorks DVDs which are new and still sealed in their cellophane. They are Spirit and El Dorado and these were both 50p each. These are currently selling for £4.22 and £5.98 on Amazon so a saving of just over £9. I also bought three other DVDs which came from one couple and these were £2.50 for the 3. They had all been watched but are in excellent condition.



I found a new Guerlain perfumes duffle bag in a thick black material which will be great for swimwear and towels on holidays and weekends away and this cost just 50p.

I bought 4 books, one which is a present for my nephew as a stocking filler and was 50p, a couple of novels for myself to read on holiday and these were both 50p and finally a fabulous hard back Christmas Cookery Book which was new and just £1. For those that are getting to know me, you will recognise my love of Christmas and I start preparing months in advance so I will really enjoy reading this over the next few evenings and choosing which recipes to use.





I found just one magazine for 20p which is 10 months old but will keep me happy for an hour's reading. I pass all my magazines on to my Dad who gives them to one of his elderly lady neighbours. I love the fact that they are recycled and read many times by a number of people.



Yesterday we visited a shop in Fleetwood which we know sells well known branded food and drink but at knockdown prices because they are short dated. We spent just under £20 but came back with a boot full of food and drink. David and I bought 24 small tins (150ml) of Canada Dry at 20p a tin (best before April 2015) instead of the 42p charged at most supermarkets. We also bought Schweppes tomato juice in the same small tins at 10p each. These are great as mixer drinks for a Whisky & Dry and for Bloody Mary cocktails. We also came back with 8 Schweppes tonic water with a hint of elderflower in 250ml tins. These cost 69p for 4 and similar mixer drinks sell for over £1 a tin. These are great as a change from a plain gin and tonic. We bought four 1 litre bottles of Scheppes citrus blend mixer at 50p a bottle. These are best before December 2014. I think we may be drinking some cocktails and mixed drinks over the next few months instead our usual drink of chilled wine.

I bought a number of bars of Asda Extra Special chocolate with a hint of espresso for 39p each and these normally sell for £1.29. We found Cinnamon Graham cereal which were in bags rather than cardboard boxes and were for the European market rather than the UK. These were just 69p so I bought a couple of these along with Asda Horseradish sauce at 15p a jar and Lloyd Grossman pasta sauces at 59p a jar. The pasta sauce and horseradish sauce would have cost £10 but I paid £2.66. I bought some packets of Phileas Fogg American Bubble chips for 59p instead of £1.59.

I visited some charity shops and a small shopping outlet too but I will post details of these tomorrow. Oh! we did not spend the whole weekend shopping. We did get to see the illuminations and I really thought the trams lit up as boats and trains were brilliant.










No comments: