Pages

Monday 15 September 2014

Weekend Away Bargains Part 2

I mentioned yesterday that I had visited a number of charity shops and a small shopping outlet so as promised here are the details of what I bought.

I visited the Oxfam shop in Cleveleys  which is a favourite because it is like a charity clearance shop. Charity shops have become very expensive over the last few years and I have noticed some items priced up more than you would pay if you bought them new. This really applies to the chain store charity shops rather than the small independent ones. This Oxfam shop is a clearance shop for other Oxfam shops and has items priced at what you would have expected years ago. I bought 7 blank greetings cards at 10p each rather than the original price of between £1.99 and 99p. 


I always keep a box of greetings cards ready for up and coming birthdays and special dates so that I have them on hand. When I see them at a reduced price I buy several and keep them in the box. This way I am not stung with an expensive price if I am needing a card for a special occasion. I bought some blank ones and a 'thank you' card. A couple of years ago David and I found some expensive Valentines Day boxed cards on one of the car boot sales near Fleetwood and bought two of them at a cheap car boot price. We now get them out to give to each other each year rather than buying a new one every year. I can never remember what they look like so I don't get bored with them and instead we spend the money saved on a lovely bottle of champagne. It has become a bit of a joke between us.

I also found a cute heart shaped handbag for my niece from the British Heart Foundation shop in Cleveleys. This was £4.99 and was originally from River Island and would have probably cost about £20. It has the most adorable animal print lining and can be used with or without the shoulder strap. Her birthday is in November so I will give this to her as part of her birthday present. In the same shop I found a Marks & Spencer Autograph shirt for David for £4.79. This would have cost about £35 when new. I will give this a wash and iron it and he can have this as part of his birthday present for his birthday next month. As a family we used to spend a fortune on gifts for each other and now we get annoyed if we know someone has spent a great deal of money on each other. We do not really want for anything so small gifts from car boot sales and charity shops are really enjoyed as we would rather spend the money saved on holidays and weekends away.





In Fleetwood there is a small shopping outlet which we visit once a year. Over the last few years we have bought a few things from there but not much. I find that these outlets are not always what you hope they will be but having said that I usually find some bargains in the Hallmark shops. This visit they had a number of offers available and I took advantage of three of them. They had luxury Christmas crackers on BOGOF (buy one get one free) so I bought 12 crackers (2 boxes of 6) for £5.99. I usually buy crackers in the January sales but for some reason I did not buy any this year.

I also bought some Yankee Candle tea lights as they were reduced from £6.99 and £6.75 to £4.89 with an additional 20% off so each box of 12 tea lights cost £3.91. This is more than the £3 I pay when I can buy them on the Cheshire car boot sale but still a good price and I wanted to buy these to get the final offer. I bought "Wild Passion Fruit" which is lovely fruity smell and will be great in the summer, "Under the Palms" a coconut fragrance which will be again lovely during next summer and finally "Paradise Spice" which smells of slightly spicy vanilla cookies. I think this will be a good fragrance to burn at Christmas as it reminded me a little of the Christmas Cookie fragrance.



The cost of these items came to over £17 and they had an offer on that if you spent £15 you got a free "goody bag" which was the third offer. There were all sorts of items in the bag and these included:
  • Boxed set of 50 note cards with envelopes
  • Boxed set of 7 Thank You cards with envelopes
  • Funky gift wrap & tag
  • 3 sheets of pink spotty tissue paper
  • Couple of gift tags
  • 5 blank and birthday cards
  • Silver gift bag
These all together are probably worth over £20 so I think I did reasonably well with my shopping at this shop. There was not much else to be had at the other shops although my sister managed to buy a couple of half price T Shirts.



No comments: