Pages

Saturday 21 January 2017

Spending Less on Food

I can't believe how much less I am spending on food since I decided to clear out my stocks of food in the freezers and pantry. I know this is stating the obvious but I now find myself in a no spending cycle. I used to be always popping into the supermarket for a "few bits" but always ended buying more than I went for as those strategically placed offers always tempted me. Because I am planning meals around my stocks of food I am buying just what I need and no more, and I am planning my shopping trips on the days I am going into the office so I am not making an additional journey to the supermarket.

This week we ate Thai one night made up from numerous appetisers found in the freezer plus two green curries also from the freezer. We had a Greek night with a ready made Pasticcio and Greek Salad. Other meals were freezer pork steaks with freezer ratatouille and on another day with freezer broccoli au gratin.



When I called into M&S for fresh bread and vegetables I was very good at buying nearly just what I needed but decided to splash out a couple of £s on their mega reduced Christmas treats. Who is going to be able to resist family sized packs of crisps at just 15p a bag? The fancy name of Blacksticks blue cheese and Figgy pickle just hides that they are cheese and onion really.


I also bought four bags of mint chocolate balls at just 25p a bag and four cute hessian sacks containing white chocolate covered toffee popcorn for 25p a bag. The sacks have already been stored away in my Christmas wrapping box for next Christmas. These will be great to wrap up little stocking fillers. The popcorn is delicious too. Luckily they were not too big a bag as once the bag was opened there was no stopping it being emptied by both of us.



I am still listing items on eBay and have managed to sell 9 items this week ranging from shoes, books, DVDs and some unwanted nail items (file & top coat) from one of the Christmas beauty advent calendars that I bought. I have spent an hour or so this afternoon listing more items ranging from a Versace rucksack to a dress that I bought in the sales and then changed my mind about it. To be honest it was a little tighter than I would have liked and even though it looked okay I think I would have felt uncomfortable wearing it. It would have ended up being worn once and then put to the back of the wardrobe. It made sense to list it and I should get my money back.


I called into Tesco on Friday to buy cat food and vegetables and nearly managed to buy just these items alone (what did I say in my first paragraph?) but could not resist these Yankee Candle votives at half price. These were £4 for the six different scented votives. Some are Christmas scents but I think some of the others can be used during the year.



When I was having a clearout I also found quite a few Yankee Candle wax melts but could not find a plain wax melt burner. I only had Christmas ones with snow flakes or holy leaves etc on them. So I was pleased to find a simple white burner also from Yankee Candle which came complete with some cinnamon spice melts. This was also half price at £5. Once my pantry spice candle has come to an end I think I will open this up and get some of the melts used up.




Finally I saw this photo and it really put a smile on my face. Being a cat lover who can resist the cuteness of cats paws? Hope it makes you smile too.


No comments: