Pages

Saturday 16 July 2016

Boy is it Hot

We normally have our sunshine holidays at the beginning of June and October and have done so for the last 20+ years. We are creatures of habit. This year we have thrown caution to the wind and had 2 weeks in Tenerife in April and the current two weeks in mid July. We have found the resort really in full swing by visiting mid season which is great but we realised yesterday why we normally visit at the beginning or end of the season. It is because it is cooler. Yesterday David felt "overwhelmed" by the heat and was tired and listless. We slept for two hours in the afternoon as our room is dark and cool at this time. We ate late as our appetites had waned and we wanted cool fresh air and a breeze  before we felt like eating. We sat down to order at 9.30pm. Today it feels a little fresher although I have woken up to damp frizzy hair!


We thought about visiting one of the many beach clubs around the bay or strolling into town to do some shopping but felt lazy and have decided on a day by the pool. The shopping in Kalkan is great. Small boutique shops selling leather goods and handbags in particular, silver and gold jewellery, pottery and cotton ethnic style clothes. I normally buy a handbag and matching purse from bsg every visit. The owner now greets us with open arms these days and he is such a lovely chap. We sometimes sit and have an apple tea and chat with him, or at least David does while I check out the stock. We also love Just Silver and we have both bought lots of jewellry from here over the years. David likes a silver item on a leather necklace - aging rock star look a la Keith Richards style. I prefer  some silver charms or long pendant.




I'm spending my lazy hours reading MC Beaton books and have finished an Agatha Raisan mystery and am moving now on to a Hamish Macbeth murder mystery. I love her style of writing and the flawed characters. I have two Hamish Macbeth books with me and the third Victoria Hislop novel, Sunrise left to read. I only seem to get chance to read when on holiday although I suppose I could make more of an effort at home. 

I'm loving my Christian Lacroix beach bag this holiday in an "on trend" palm print. It has three pockets on the inside which are great for my bits and bobs and I especially like the zip up pocket for carrying my money. For just £13 this was a real bargain from TK Maxx. There are two of these shops near where I live and I rarely go in to them if at all, but if we go away for a weekend and I see a TK Maxx I am in there like a shot. Now what is that all about?






We missed all the drama last night of the Turkish coup and woke up to see it on my newsfeed on Facebook. It has not affected Kalkan at all and the locals appear to be totally unaffected. We'll carry on holidaying in our little bubble of paradise for now.

No comments: