Pages

Friday 8 January 2016

Waitrose Foodie Haul

I needed to get my hair cut & coloured this week. I often wonder why I am going grey when my older sister who has dark brown hair has not one grey hair on her head. I am much lighter - a kind of dirty blonde colour but full of grey hairs so it was time to get my roots coloured and every six months I have highlights added so that the colour does not look flat. It takes a long time to get coloured, highlights and a cut, blow dry and then straightened. Over 3 hours later 4pm to 7.15pm I was free from the hairdressers which is next door to Waitrose. 

Who can resist visiting Waitrose 45 minutes before it closes? Certainly not me as I know there will be reductions to be had. Sure enough the second round of reductions were being priced up as I arrived and I stocked up on many fresh items to store in the freezer and to use this weekend to make meals for the week.

I bought three pots of Rachel's Organic Yoghurt reduced from £2 to 19p. I have no problems with eating out of date yoghurt  (up to about 3 days maximum) as I have never been ill and the taste is not impaired. Breakfast this morning was sliced banana, the plain Greek set yoghurt and a handful of granola. I will probably have the same over the weekend and have the raspberry & coconut yoghurts on their own after lunch on both days too.





I bought four tubs of crushed potatoes with whole grain mustard reduced from £1.99 to 25p each. I am going to use these as a topping on a shepherds pie instead of mashed potato. I think this will make a lovely change. To make the shepherds pie and a lasagne I bought two packs of my favourite Sofritto mix which I will cook with minced beef. These had been reduced from £1 a pack to 19p. One pack will be for the shepherds pie base and one pack for the bolognese sauce base. I always have packs of reduced minced meat in the freezer and got them out first thing this morning so that I could make these two meals which we will have during the week.




As part of my healthy eating and meal planning challenges, I have decided that we will eat fish as an evening main meal once a week (at least). We are having sea bream (reduced from M&S) for our evening meal tonight. It can be expensive so when I found four packs of boneless butterflied sea bream reduced from £6.99 to £1.29 a pack, I bought all of them. These went straight into the freezer and they look delicious. I like the fact that they have been stuffed with peas, beans and feta. I would never of thought of doing something like this so this will make a change to how I normally prepare fish.



I bought two packs of minted pea crush reduced from £1.99 to 25p which are both in the freezer. These will be great served with fish or lamb and new potatoes. I bought a pack of minted mixed green vegetables reduced from £1.99 to 15p. We will be eating this tonight with the sea bream along with some new potatoes.







I found some lovely cherry tomatoes reduced from £2.49 to 25p. I will grill or roast these on Sunday morning as part of a cooked breakfast along with these scrummy portabelini mushrooms reduced from £1.65 to 15p.





There were a couple of snacky bits such as these tubs of caramelised hummus £1.49 to 22p and tuna pate £1.55 to 35p. These are both freezeable (I've frozen them before) but they will be used for lunch tomorrow or even as part of packed lunches on Monday.



I bought the Yorkshire puddings at 25p reduced from £1.60 to go with our roast pork Sunday evening meal. I also thought I would use this fabulous pack of stuffing with the pork too. I was really pleased with this as it comes in it's own lovely stoneware dish. This was reduced from £7.99 to £2.39.







There were two items I bought and I have then wondered when we are going to eat them so I may have slipped up here but they may last until the beginning of next week for lunches. I am a little cross with myself as I am trying not to buy things I don't need or throw food away. We may have them on Saturday evening as I have not planned this meal yet.  I bought them because I like Ceasar salad, potato salad and coleslaw. The salad was reduced from £1.99 to 25p and the double salad mix £1.89 to 29p.




I know some people can to terribly snobbish about eating reduced food items but totting this up I spent £11.91 in total for what should have cost  £70.54. I am eating food from a quality supermarket a day or so out of date and making a massive saving on our shopping bill. Over the year the amount saved with probably be over £1,000 so I think eating reduced items is well worthwhile.

No comments: