Pages

Saturday 30 January 2016

My Last Week & eBay Sales

This last week has made me think about my work life balance and I want to give you Wednesday & Thursday as an example.

I worked from home on Wednesday morning for a couple of hours so that I could avoid the rush hour traffic and time consuming journey into the office. I started work at 7.30am and I left for the office at 10.45am. At this time of day the journey only takes 45 minutes rather than the rush hour time of over an hour to an hour & a half. I arrived at the office at 11.30am and then worked through to around 6pm. No lunch break as I just ate on the go during two meetings. I drove home and again at this time avoided the rush hour traffic, called into Marks & Spencer on the way home for some fresh bread and the Dine in for £10 meal deal. By the time I got home it was after 7pm. It was then a case of putting the bins out to be collected the next day, feeding the cat, putting the evening meal on to cook and finally eating at 8pm. I was ready for bed at 9pm as I was tired and knew I had a busy day on Thursday.



Thursday I was up at 5.30am and on the road at 7am for my first meeting at 8am. I was then at a conference from 9am until 4.25pm and home for 5.30pm. I refreshed my make-up, fed the cat and David and I were out and back on the road by 5.45pm to get to the cinema for 6.15pm for a free film showing at 6.30pm. We had planned to go for a meal at the retail park at Cafe Rouge but the film was a long one and it was 9pm by the time we left the cinema and we did not want to be ordering a meal at that time of the evening. We were home for 9.40pm where both of us had a glass of wine and then off to bed by 10pm.  During the conference I was picking up my emails on my blackberry and dealing with phone messages and I noticed my boss had sent me an email to me at 6.30am. She had to leave the conference part way through and I asked a colleague why she had left and she said she had too much work. I ended up emailing her and offering to work the weekend to help her. Where is the relaxation and downtime in my life? Am I raising something and nothing or do you think I should get more down time? The film we went to see is called 13 hours and was gripping.


I have carried on listing items over the last week and am enjoying getting rid of some items as I have realised we have far too much stuff. Some of the items have been used but fallen out of favour whereas others are new and unused and have just been cluttering up the house. Some of these unused items are freebies and I have listed some make-up which has come free with a magazine like the Clinique chubby lip balm whereas others have come free with a purchase like the Boots No7 eyeshadow palettes. I had three of these with colours which I just would not wear. I can't even recall getting them as I've had them so long.





I've been listing most things as an auction rather than "buy it now" and I've put low starting prices as I am more interested in getting rid of them than making loads of money although the funds have been slowly adding up and I like it when I have a good amount to transfer from my PayPal account to my bank account. I am thinking it may be an idea to start listing things as buy it now as I've had some people asking would I sell it at a buy it now price. I may try this over the next couple of weeks although it does cost more to list them as buy it now.

Clearing things out has led me to find things that I have forgotten that I had - I said we had too much stuff. I found this great original Mulberry Emmy handbag that I bought at the Cheshire carboot sale for just £18. It needed two small screws replacing in one of the fastenings and I got these last year but had just not sorted out fixing it. David did this for me in two minutes and now I have a fab handbag. I wondered how much these were these days and was taken aback to see them being sold at up to £299 on eBay. I don't know why the lady sold it for £18 but a fair few of the stall holders at this carboot sale are clearly not short of cash judging by the cars they have and the designer items they are selling. I think they must do the carboot sales for a clearout and a bit of fun.


No comments: