Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2014

High End Low Cost

I cannot see the point of paying full price for food that can be bought at low prices and I class buying reduced items in high end supermarkets as a kind of sport.  I had a long journey home from work today and after sitting in a traffic jam during the rush hour for over an hour I found myself sat in slow moving traffic due to roadworks outside my local Marks & Spencers.

I worked out that as it was beyond 6pm that were likely to be some good reductions and so decided to spend a quick 30 minutes seeing what I could find. I spent a little over £18 but came away with a fridge full of food.

Firstly I found a bunch of my favourite white lilies reduced to £3.75 which look beautiful in my dining room. 



I then noticed over 10 rotisserie style chickens reduced from £5 - £7 to £3, so of course I picked out the two chickens that were over £7 for my trolley. I then found two double packs of already baked cheesy baked potatoes for 85p and several packs of julienne vegetables reduced to 60p. I bagged two of each along with two packs of garlic mushrooms for 60p.

 I also found a Gastropub pack of  two Lochmuir Salmon en route for £2.10. Which has gone straight to the freezer along with three packs of Applewood smoked ham reduced from £3 to 90p a pack. Again these have gone straight into the freezer for use at some later date as sandwich filling.


We had one of the chickens with one pack of jacket potatoes and one pack of vegetables for our evening meal.  Not all the chicken was used and I will use the remaining meat from the legs and thighs for a pasta dish later in the week. I will then simmer the carcass to make a tasty chicken stock for soup. Eating from a high end supermarket could not be easier at these prices.

No comments: