Pages

Monday 5 June 2017

Candles, Cards & DVDs

I have been running low on tea lights from Yankee Candle and over the last couple of weeks I have been using ones that I had put aside for Christmas, mainly the Christmas Cookie ones. I rarely find boxes of Yankee tea lights on carboot sales so if I do find them I usually buy them in bulk. Two weeks ago I managed to find five boxes on three different stalls. All of them were £3 a box at every stall. I actually left some behind on one stall because I did not like the fragrance of them. The ones I did choose were:

Pink Sands
Vanilla Cupcake
Vanilla Lime
Clean Cotton
My Serenity



I also bought a medium sized jar in a fabulous scent of Lemon Lavender for £4. The seller had wanted £5 but it looked like it had been used once so he dropped the price when I pointed out it had been used.


My final Yankee candle purchases were two advent calendars at £10 each for my sister and niece as part of their Christmas present. I give them to them at the end of November, so an early gift but then they can enjoy them throughout December. They have a hanging hook on the back and are garland shaped so I hope they hang them up and enjoy them as a Christmas garland.



When we were in Waitrose the day before visiting the Cheshire carboot sale, we wandered down the "seasonal goods" aisle and David remarked on the extortionately priced enamelled metal goods for sale such as planters, housekeeper tidy containers etc. All popular at the moment. I remarked to David that most of these £20 items would be £1 on the carboot sales in a few months. Well I bought this great egg bucket for £1. Don't you think it looks great?



I found a lovely new Marks & Spencers leather weekend bag in a royal purple colour. At first I thought the lining had been removed from the inside and then realised that it had never been used and it was the original cardboard kept to keep its shape. This was just £3. It has a shoulder strap as well as the carrying handles. These were around £95 when they first came out at M&S. I bought my sister one last year in pink and gave it to her as part of her Christmas present. It is more suitable for an overnight bag than for a full weekend away as it is a medium rather than large size.


I could not resist buying 12 DVDs because they were just 20p each for 10 of them and two at 50p each. For £3 I have quite a few films to keep me out of mischief for the next few weeks.



One stall was selling all Hallmark cards at 3 for £1. Cards can be so expensive these days so I picked out six. A Father's Day card for my dad for next month. A couple of birthday cards for my sister and one for my nephew whose birthday is next month. We also bought a birthday card for each of us to give to each other on our birthdays. After being together for 30 years we are not now "mushy" with each other over cards and we have started to give each other the same cards each year for Christmas & Valentine's Day. We just put them away and get the same ones out each year so we now have ones for our birthdays. It just seemed a waste of money to buy a new one each year - maybe we are a bit mean?


I found an Oreck vacuum cleaner which I think are brilliant. I have one already and love it. When I saw this one the seller asked for £5. I turned it upside down and noticed the brush roller was almost bare (heaven knows how she had managed that!?) but it had a spare belt attached and a new bag inside. Hmmm... I said I wouldn't bother because the brush roller was badly worn and she dropped the price to £1. Now I have paid more than £5 for a new belt for my own vacuum cleaner two weeks earlier so I was not going to pass this one up for £1. Sold.


I bought a tray of eight Cosmos in white for £10. I have planted these in containers in my back garden either side of our French Window. I love the freshness of the white.



I have been planning on getting the garden a little more organised and stand by the advice from my dad of "little and often". The front and back gardens are starting to look a little neater and I love my white Cosmos in the planters. I'll post some pictures once things are a little more orderly.



No comments: