Pages

Sunday 5 March 2017

M&S Foodie Bargains

I called into Marks & Spencers on the way home from work for just a loaf of bread but ended up spending £16. I could not resist the reductions and reckoned they would feed us for a week at least. I bought all ready made meals which are easy for David to have at lunch time now that he is retired or handy if I have a long day at work and want something quick and easy to cook when I get home.

I work from home when I can but this is usually just one day a week and the rest of the time I have a fairly short journey of 11 miles to work. The problem is that my office moved from the south of Manchester to North Manchester several years ago so I have to travel across the city centre. It can take me an hour and a half upwards on bad days and on good days it can be 45 minutes. If I finish work at 6pm then I may not get home until 7 to 7.30pm and I don't always want to start cooking at this time.

To be fair David could do the cooking as a retiree but he is hopeless at cooking unless it is toast or baked beans. He could try but I suspect after being looked after by me for 30 years that he is loathe to change his ways and enjoys being spoilt. My brother-in-law once said to him that I do everything for him and rather than feeling ashamed David responded by saying "yes I know, it's great"!!

So what bargains did I find? Here goes...

A couple of creamy chicken pies for David to warm through in the oven for lunch. These were reduced from £2.25 to 60p.


Two Cantonese Sweet & Sour Chicken with rice. I served these yesterday evening with some duck dim sum beforehand. Lazy Chinese Takeaway style meal for a Saturday night. 90p each reduced from £3.50 each.



Two sausage and mash meals for one. We have both already eaten these one lunch time. These were reduced from £2.60 each to 65p each.


Two roast pork meals for one. This is not something I would normally buy but at £1.15 reduced from £4.50 each I thought I would give them a try. These are ideal for David for lunch.


Two Gastropub fish pies for two. These were reduced from £7.50 to £1.90 each. A real bargain.  No photos as they are already in the bottom of my freezer.

Two large cottage pies for two reduced from £4.50 to £1.15. Again no photos because these are also both in the bottom of the freezer. Does anyone else like eating pickled beetroot with cottage pie or shepherds pie? David thinks I am weird for doing this.

Two tubs of ready made mash potato reduced from £2.50 to 65p and £2.25 to 60p. I know it is lazy to buy ready made mashed potato but I don't think I could make it myself for this price. They both have added cabbage or bacon in them too.


Did anyone read the article this week about manufacturers putting use by dates on food instead of best before dates on food? We end up throwing away food because we think it will have spoiled or will make us ill when in fact there is nothing wrong with it. Naughty.

My freebie in the post this week was a tube of Clarins day cream. Not bad for free and great for my weekends away toiletry bag.


No comments: