Pages

Sunday 26 February 2017

This weeks bargains

We seem to have got into a little routine these past few weekends whereby we get up early on Saturday and Sunday mornings to go two specific supermarkets. It is Waitrose on a Saturday morning for fresh bread and vegetables and a free latte coffee each plus two free newspapers.

On Sunday it is Booths supermarket in Hale Barns for any bargains that they have in their reduced sections in the fridges and two free lattes and a newspaper. We then head home to drink our coffees and read the papers before starting the day. This week I stocked up my decidedly roomy freezers with lots of half price meat from Booths. I had a £3 off a £30 shop voucher too so my shop should have cost £67.29 actually cost me £32.88 and I saved £34.41 not including the free lattes. I love that Booths always email your receipt too - not sure why but I like it.



I bought the following packs of meat. Three packs of lamb mince £4 down to £2. It was on offer if you bought 3 packs at £10 but I still only paid £6. I will use this to make moussakka or bolognese sauce or meatballs. A half price chicken at £3.47 instead of £6.94. A chicken always provides us with three meals each. I roast it and we have the breasts for the first meal. We have the legs and thighs for the next meal. I then cook the carcass in water to make chicken stock and then make a soup with the stock. I use any vegetables that I have in the pantry so it is usually onions, carrots, celery and I pop in a potato to thicken it.




Two packs of rolled pork shoulder joints with sage & onion stuffing and bramley apple sauce. These were £2.30 reduced from £4.60. Again these were on offer at 2 packs for £7.50 but I still made a saving by only paying £4.60.


Two packs of boned chicken thighs rolled in bacon and stuffed with mushroom duxelle. These cost £2.10 instead of £4.20. These had the same 2 packs for £7.50 offer but I only paid £4.20.


Two packs of lamb steaks with a herby mint crust at £2.60 instead of £5.20 and two packs of duck breasts at £3.50 instead of £7. Both are great with new potatoes and fresh vegetables. An easy weekday meal when I get home from work.




And just because .... two packs of very naughty but very delicious looking cakes at half price. Who could resist lemon meringue pies and coffee renoirs. Both made in good old Lancashire too. At least I did not buy the family sized cakes and just went for the packs of two.


I got a mixture of freebies through the post this week too. A couple of teabags - a chocolate one from Hotel Chocolat. Have you tried their chocolates? They are just divine and so rich that you only need two at the most. A deep almost bitter chocolate taste that is heavenly.



A PG tips green tea - strawberry cupcake flavoured complete with 50p off voucher. I've not tried either one yet but will give them a try this week.



Finally a sample tube of Olay moisturiser. I really appreciatethese little tubes for taking away with me when we go away for the weekend. I just love getting freebies in the post and never know what the postman will bring each week.


Oh! I need to thank our postman for being such a lovely chap. I used to work with him years ago, and if he has a parcel he always rings the front door bell and then walks to our back door as he knows I always open this rather than the front door (it sometimes sticks if it is very hot or very damp). He always says hello and has a quick chat and always has a really happy smile no matter the weather. Now it is not often that you get this kind of service from the Royal Mail.

No comments: